Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Aug 1997 00:45:13 -0400
From:         David Raistrick <xi8940@FREENET.TLH.FL.US>
Subject:      Itchigo got broke.  (subtitle: Baywindow glass needed)

*sigh*

Took my brother to the skating rink, so he could see his gf-to-be..

On the way, we had a small run in with the local police!

Headed down columbia road, which has been under heavy contruction of late, due to a few million dollars that the county government misused. The state/fed told them that all of this money had to be accounted for by such and such date....so its getting used, and fast. Lots of road widening, etc. Needed stuff, too.

Anyhow..Comming up on one section(just before the county sports park), i notice someone on the left side of the road, waving a flashlight about...I only pay a bit of attention, due to the strange shifting of the road ahead.

Suddenly, I'm blinded, as the flashlight is shined directly in my face! Instinct turns my head, and in that brief moment, we plunge headlong into a row of orange barrels!! *sigh*

We were through three before Itchigo took over driving, pulling us out of the barrels (and out of the path of a large ROAD CLOSED sign!)

We veared into the left lane, tires squealing madly, as the bus slid sideways at 40+ mph. Then, due to oncomming traffic, a quick turn (and more sideways sliding) pulled us back around, into our lane, headind in the proper direction.

I continue on a good 100 yards, before thinking about the brake, and pulling over. Hop out, and check the damage. Very cracked windshield, beat up nose, slightly torn bra...

I check the drivers rear side of the bus, to see if i did indeed hit the car in the oncomming lane...No dents, so hope!

Begin walking up towards the scene, and a car pulls down towards us.

Bright lights are engaged, and we realize its a police cruiser! I quickly ask if everyone is allright, and teh cop replies with a nod...

He then proceeds to rave! "How fast were you going!?" I reply..."55 or so, sir.." He screams back "Why in hell were you goings so fast! You almost hit me!" To which i reply.."Its a 55 mph speedzone, sir..and i'm sorry, i truly am!"

He then proceeds to say that it is a contruction zone, where the speedlimit is 45 mph...(I dont bother to mention that the posted speedlimit, even new signs in the construction areas, is 55..) I proceed to apologise, and tell of the flashlight on the other side of the road..He states that a officer will arrive shortly to take a report, but i decline the offer, since the only damage done was to me, and i'd rather not have this on my record..

He tells us to go pick up the barrels, at least, before we leave.

We do, and talk to the other officer, talking with a few witnesses. I tell him of the flashlight and he apologises profusely, and states "That was me" We speak a moment more, of me being blinded, and i head off, back to the bus.

Look at the damage some more, and noptice the pass. headlight aiming high..Pull out a srewdriver, and quickly reaim it down a bit, so as not to get pulled over for THAT..

*sigh*

In all, its a lot better than it could have been, if I (or Itchigo, its up in the air who was really driving!) hadnt have pulled back out of the oncoming lane so quickly..

I also would like to add a bit of praise to the noname tires that the PO put on the bus..They've handled flawlessly on mud, snow, ice, water, gravel, and even some hardcore limitpushin driving.

Not to mention the many miles put on the bus as the beam broke, tending to screw the alignment up VERY much.

I'd also like to thank Itchigo, for not breaking in half during the manuvering..And my brother for not saying a damn thing. And my driver ed instructer for teaching me the ins and out of cornering, skiding, and other such things.

Now i just need to find a new windshiel,d and work on reshaping the nose, and fix the tear in the bra..

Oh!! The good news...Tires!

Put down my money on a set of 370's at Sears...Only people willing to order them, so..They can do my alignment, and the mounting, but cannot balance them. They did refer me to the one shop that balances them on the car...so..

Hopefully in a week or two, i'll have my new tires..

*sigh*

If anyone in/around GA has a baywindow windshield.....(oh, and which of you guys has the best price on a seal!!:) (Oh, wait..i've got an old quote from Ron laying around....)

Thanks.......david.

-- Keeper Of The Light: Pushing Back The Darkness at http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb/west/darkness.html

The Turning 40 Nostalgic VW Service Tour, and Search for the Beginning of Wind http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb/charlie/charlie.html

'75 Retired Westy-Canadian Model, Cody (storage shed) '69 Westy, Itchigo (daily driver) '69 Offroad Beetle, Lifted and Uncut! (project) '81 Rabbit Pickup, Diesel (awaiting frontend transplant)

xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us.......Located in Augusta, Ga