Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:58:52 -0500
From:         "Fast, Timothy" <FASTTH@PHIBRED.COM>
Subject:      A/C Question

I was looking over the latest Vanagon digest and read the post from Dennis Haynes in response to the A/C drain tubes being clogged. Several years ago I had the identical problem. While traveling from Boston to Washington State, the A/C started dumping water on the rear cushion behind the bench seat. I removed the rubber check valves and replaced them with a very fine netting. This prevented further clogging, however about a year later my A/C system started to cause problems. Every year it had to be recharged (sometimes twice a year). I've had leaks fixed etc. After each repair/recharge the A/C would work for a few months then quit. :<(

My latest trip to an A/C shop (forget finding any competent VW dealer) reveals that I need to replace one of the 10' hoses, the receiver/dryer and assorted "O" rings at a cost of $665. (FYI double that figure if you purchase the hose from VW instead of having one made!).

My question is could removing the little check valves be responsible in any for the A/C acting up or is it just to be expected with a unit that has about 100 miles of hoses?

BTW I checked into having the system upgraded to R134. The cost is about $1,500. Most of that is in hose replacement. According to the A/C shop the compressor would not have to be replaced.

Thanks for your help

Tim Fast 88 Westy "The Battle Bus" 96 Trek 1220 97 Trek T100 Tandem ;>)