Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Aug 1997 02:58:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JordanVw@aol.com
Subject:      A/C compressors Sanden 508 vs 510

Hey, all...Today I got a a/c compressor (Sanden 508) off a '86 Golf, for 20 bucks at a local junkyard...spun it, sounded good, and when i cut the freon lines, it spewed out a whole bunch of R12 freon into the atmosphere (yea...yeahh.. :<), so i knew the system was fully charged, and the compressor was probably good. (man...that stuff makes you hallucinate...)

Now the a/c compressor on my '87 is a Sanden 510, and the 508 looks just like the 510, but the lines exit on the opposite side (the same end, but on the right instead of the left...or vise-versa..anyway, you get my point...) Someone had mentioned on the list before about using a Golf/Jetta etc. 508 on a Vanagon...what did you do about this problem? The freon lines into the 510 on the Vanagon are metal, and dont bend too easily... :<) (the freon lines right out of the 508 on the Golf were rubber hoses) There is a "plug" or bolt in the top center of the compressor (both the 508 and the 510 have this) is there a "right side up" to the compressor? (ie., can you mount the compressor w/ this "plug" or wide head bolt, down?) I held the 508 over the engine compartment, and if you mount it "upside down" then the lines exit to the same side as the 510.... So, those of you who have used a Golf/Jetta/etc. 508 in their Vanagons, what did you do?

any ideas? chris