Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:03:42 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: importing a EV Westi
Comments: To: Helmut_Zeidler@SALNG01M.NMP.NOKIA.COM

Helmut:

The situation is sadder in the US than you would otherwise think. No T4's are being imported by Volkswagen. They are not available at all. Winnebago *is* importing the extended EV for conversion to the vehicle that some VW dealers are selling (but this is not a VW-sold vehicle, and the dealers must also become Winnebago dealers). Many VW dealers miss the old days when the Westfalia conversions were available directly from VW here. Winnebago also imports singlecab T4's for conversion to their "Rialta" camper. No commercial model Volkswagens have been imported to the US since the early '70's. This is basically true for all European trucks, although some of the larger ones are brought in (like the Iveco trucks). The Sharans are not imported either.

T4's are available in Canada, including the Panel Transporter models, and it might be possible to import a Canadian version, since Canadian and US requirements are quite similar. This thread started by somebody wanting to import a Canadian Westfalia conversion.

VW itself imported Westfalia conversions for a short time in 1993, but not very many of these were sold (not many T4's were sold at all). The only model available was the "MV", with the pop-top, but very little camping equipment. The Winnebago conversion is *very* similar to the old Vanagon Westfalia full-camper that was sold at the VW dealers in the '80's.

The "Westfalia" conversions had an air of respectability about them that the other conversions lacked. There were several US manufacturers of camper conversions based on VW Transporters, and some are well-loved by their owners. Because VW dealers usually sold the Westfalia conversions, they are thought of as the "official" one, they are the most common, and some people thing that the fit and finish are better than the other conversions. It is true that the Westfalias feel different from other US van conversions -- less shag carpet, routed-laquered wood and tuck'n'roll vinyl stuff. They probably reflect the styling preferences of the European market. I think that VW itself was a little surprised that we cared. Like I say, the "EuroBago" conversion looks like a direct descendent of the old Vanagon Westfalia, and not so much like other US conversions.

There are some concerns about the quality of workmanship and materials in the Winnebago conversions (but I was never thrilled about the peeling vinyl panels in my Westfalia, or their horrific taste in fabrics), and the price is breathtaking. We remember the Westfalia conversions costing very much less. I suspect that the equivalent Westfalia conversions now cost more than the Winnebago, but you could probably get real figures. The Winnebago conversion costs about $37,000 -- $25,000 for the T4 and $12,000 for the conversion package. They tack on another $800 for the middle seats...

They only come in automatic transmissions, only in the VR6 engine. No Syncro's available, and only the long-wheelbase version is offered. How much is a Westfalia like this these days?

malcolm