Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:11:12 -0700
From:         bachmanb@SMTPGW1.PLK.AF.MIL
Subject:      Re: Dometic fan cycle question

I noted this on my '91.

A helpful list member suggested adjusting the thermostat knob slightly to perhaps stop this (indirectly).

Before I got a chance to try this, my fan literally burned up and came close to setting the interior of the van on fire (I posted on this in July).

I now have two of the Radio Shack muffin fans on the fins (and sheet aluminum behind and under the fridge in case something else decides to emit flames sometime in the future) - they're way bunches quieter and don't wake me up at night.

In retrospect, I'd have to suggest that the problem may actually lie with the thermo switch. Mine's a bit loose and I can imagine that the slight vibration of the stock fan coming on may be enough to affect either the internal latching of the thermostat or the thermal connection to the fins.

-Blaine