Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:17:50 -0400
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Fuel Injection Information (was SS header)

<< Now these operations have legal questionability, beware there is an oxygen sensor attached to the cat, and performing one of the operations will change the reading. I have no idea of that impact on the FI system. >>

On my 84 at least, the O2 sensor is upstream of the cat and as such cannot have any impact on the way the FI works. I replaces my cat with an aftermarket cat that fits very nicely, was slightly smaller overall, and has a port which I left plugged at the "plenum" at the input side of the cat for installation of an O2 sensor. This is also on the upstream side. In rough terms if memory serves me, one adjusts the Vanagon to around 1/2 a percent CO at the upstream sniffer port and this will result in about zero CO at the tailpipe if the Cat is warmed up and everythng is working right. It is possible to get the mixture so far out of whack that the O2 sensor cannot compensate.

Also a point to remember is that the O2 sensor needs to be hot to work. Mounting out by the tailpipe would be mostly useless I would think. The three wire type O2 sensors that many cars have encorporate a heating element to get the sensor up to operating temperature faster. Otherwise these behave towards the FI system exactly the same as the one wire. The O2 sensor is after all simply a variable resistor. (for diagnostic work only ;^) you could of course just install a variable resistor to tailor the FI caracteristic if you were the experimenting type.

Excellent reference on how these Bosch Fuel injections actually work, not just the Bentley's service manual cookbook, is "Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management" by Charles O. Probst, SAE, published by Robert Bentley.

Digijet is a VW name for the Bosch L-Jetronic with Lambda (Lambda is Bosch speak for an Oxygen sensor feedback loop)

The book covers the operation of the L-Jetronic in gory detail (I have the '84 Digijet). The Digifant I on the later Vanagons is apparently a partly VW designed system, pulsed injection like the Digijet, similar in operation to a Bosch Motronic with a less complicated timing map than has the Motronic, and also lacking the Motronic Knock sensor. (So the book tells me)

If you work on the rear end of your Vanagon, get this book!

Probst mentions some interesting things about Jump Starting and battery charging a car with Bosch FI in chapter 4.1.3. Concerns excessive voltage spikes effects on the control unit. Worth pondering. When I get my recently ordered Owners manual I will have to see if they say anything similar.

Carl Turner 84 Worstfalia project