Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:23:18 -0800
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <coyote@likeminds.com>
Comments:     Resent-From: "Ron Lussier" <coyote@zuni.likeminds.com>
Comments:     Originally-From: "William Bayer" <wbayer@rb-link.dcmdc.dla.mil>
From:         Ron Lussier <coyote@ZUNI.LIKEMINDS.COM>
Subject:      Failure to start problems.
Comments: To: vanagon@zuni.likeminds.com

I'm having a problem with a 1984 Vanagon camper with 116,800 miles. The car is in mint condition, uses no oil, no coolant leaks, no starting or running problems, except:

In the last two thousand miles, it would not restart twice after a normal stop. I got a yellow spark from the coil to distributor tower, and yellow spark from tower to spark plug lead. Fuel pump came on. After the first incident, it was towed to the service location, and after dropping off the wrecker, it started normally. This after several days of fruitless attempts to start it where it went down. The second time, it had been running about 300 miles, when it died in an intersection and wouldn't restart. We pushed it out of the street and called for a wrecker. About 1 1/2 hrs later, it restarted. I don't know whether the engine died or my wife stalled it to provoke this incident, but it wouldn't restart. When it did get going, it ran okay for another 230 miles and has been starting normally ever since.

In January, at about 112,000 miles, after driving about 700 miles at 65 mph, it started to cut out and slow down, but after gradually losing speed, the problem cleared up and we came in the last 50 miles okay. One previous time, it wouldn't start at about 90,000 miles. Then, we pin checked the computer per the VW manual (all normal), the idle stabilizer circuit, etc, nothing worked until it just started with full throttle. It made a lot of smoke and got half the usual mileage on the way to the shop, where it mysteriously started working normally again. Stumped the service people.

We did have that problem of cutting out & running rough after about 15 miles when the car had about 45,000 miles, but it seemed to cure itself and we haven't seen that for 7 years.

I would like anybody's suggestions of what could be causing this. I don't have Javascript available for "chatting".

Thanks for your help.