Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:24:29 -0700
From:         Daniel Arnfeld <darnfeld@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: '85 Westy gas splashing out after fill-up
Comments: To: Roy Mellor <roym@ARISTOTLE.NET>

Roy:

Not all of us here on the list have Vanagon Veins!

Armed only with 1 quarter of high school auto mechcanics 25 years ago, I managed to rebuild the heads, replace the head gaskets, replace all the coolant hoses, fuel lines, install S&S headers and Turbo muffler and replace all the indoor plumbing in my 1987 Westie. It took me (2) months.

Easy?? HECK NO! A learning experience? You bet! I can almost say fun. But one thing's for sure... the van runs better than new.

I, like so many others, had the same problem you've spoken of. The solution for me was in the replacement of the fuel lines and gaskets around the tank. Order the following ahead of time and have no more than 1/4 tank of fuel as you'll have to lower the tank:

20 feet of 7mm High Pressure Fuel hose (for the whole van) (1) 251-201-139A Fuel Filler grommet (4) N-901-004-01 Fuel Tank "Y" gaskets (2) N-901-005-01 Gravity (?) tank gaskets

Good luck!

Dan '87 Westie

Roy Mellor wrote: > > I've been lurking and learning for a few weeks now. The expertise on > this list is amazing and also a bit intimidating. You guys who remember > circuits numbers from memory, whoah! > > It's time to post a question. > > My '85 Westy always splashes gas back out before shutting off the gas > station's automatic pump. Is there some way to stop this? > > I thought this was a feature that I had to live with. After finding this > list I bet this is really a solvable problem and somebody else out there > has solved it already. > > Roy Mellor > '85 Westy