Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Sep 1997 06:39:09 -0700
From:         Bob Bellanca <bajatrvlr@ABAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: aux battery ideas
Comments: To: Rick Gordon <rickgo@HALCYON.COM>

Rick, Having lived in Baja for years on solar power, I thought I'd take a swipe at your question...First of all, let's address what it is you're going to with all this new found energy. If it's just going to be for a reading light, occasional music, etc; or, a small cement mixer/margarita blender, the approch is a bit different...Also, the time you're going to be on the hook, so to speak (ie: time between driving the van and parking). This will dictate how much solar generating power (in watts) is enough. To address your concerns about interaction between a dual battery solenoid and the existing charger, let me ask you this, if your main concern is maintaining the house battery alone, no problem if it's isolated by a solenoid (not a diode). Even if it wern't, it still wouldn't be a problem, you'de just have to approch it a little differently is all. And, by existing charger I assume you mean the alternator. Yep, electrons are like water, they'll flow to the lowest level and that's usually the battery. The electricity from the alt. can't backfeed to the solar panels because they're protected by diodes. And, the alternator is also. As long as you put some kind of regulator with the solar panel, you're covered. Now, on to the next question... The rocket ship meter that tells you everything...My advice to you or anyone else is to forget it. You don't need it. A good digital volt meter with a resolution of at least .1 (point one) volts will tell you more about where you stand with your batteries than anything else. These meters would be OK if the batteries they were supposed to monitor were consistant with their ratings throughout their lifespan. BUT, they're NOT! I have a diesel Westy with only one battery. A long time ago, I modified the battery compartment (in the engine compartment) to accept a group 27 (120 amp hr) deep cycle battery. Expierience has shown me that I didn't have to start up the van for about 5-7 days using the normal camping type stuff. My suggestion to you is to not bother with solar power unless you plan on living in the van and not moving for long periods of time. Have fun and let me know if you have any more questions, Bob Bellanca