Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Sep 1997 14:38:02 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <bloss@mailman.enter.net>
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      oil pressure gauge install done (long)

Having installed the dual sender (idiot light/analog outputs) last weekend, I set about installing the rest of the system. First of all, I rigged the idiot light sender wire to the new sender with alligator clips and went for a drive. The valve tapping I talked about before went away after the van was fully warmed up and hasn't returned. Also, the idiot light would come on about the same time as with the old sender (after fully warmed up and stopped at a traffic light).

I ran 16-gauge wire from the sender along the bottom of the van in the same cluster of tubes where a bunch of other wires go. I dropped the spare tire and used a straightened coathanger to fish the wire over the gas tank, up next to the speedometer cable, behind the left headlight and through one of the rubber tube/grommet things behind the instrument cluster. Again, the coathanger came in handy.

I had picked up some electrical blade and clamp connectors, which were the same size as those on the back of the gauge. As it turns out, they fit well on the screw terminals of the sender and with some soldering, shrink wrap, and electrical tape, I did a reasonably neat job of it. Using clamp-type splicers, I stole power for the gauge from the headlight feed circuit. I wanted a switched circuit so the gauge doesn't bleed power when the van is off.

I took the van for a test spin to watch the pressure cold and hot. Keep in mind I still have 10W30 in the case, which I'll switch to 20W50 when I get a chance. Cold startup I get about 60 psi. Driving 50-55 the pressure goes anywhere between 45-60 depending on how warmed up she is. Fully hot and stopped at a light, I have 8-10 psi. 20W50 should improve that a bit. I noticed that the idiot light comes on around 12 psi. This might be peculiar to my idiot light system since I still think there's some thing wrong with it. At least now I have a better idea of what's going on.

The gauge is sitting on the dash next to the instrument cluster, so I now have to figure out a good place to mount it. I kinda like it to the left of the cluster where it is now in terms of line of sight. Also, I have to steal power for the light yet. I may snag that from the fog light circuit that the PO put in.

This was my first major modification to the van and I was a bit scared of doing it at first, particularly since it involved taking engine tin/exhaust header bolts off.

Thanks to Sean Bartnik who provided some of the insights since he was 2 steps ahead of me, Ron Salmon of the Bus Depot for providing the sender and gauge, Jim Thompson of the Old Volks Home for providing the extension hose, and all of the other list members who provided moral support and an "ear."

If anyone else is comtemplating this addition to their waterboxer, I'll try to help in any way I can.

Regards,

-Karl ___________________________________________ Karl and Kristina Bloss - bloss@enter.net Trexlertown, PA http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw '87 GL Weekender "Beverley"