Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 1997 18:10:15 -0400
From:         Scott Chen <mac.chen@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Gas Tank Removal

I just finished replacing the gas tank fuel lines on my 84 Westfalia using the archive directions for Gas Tank Removal. A couple of tips for anyone thinking of doing this:

1. Be prepared to wrestle with the factory compression clamps. I didn't realize how difficult they would be until I tried to take them off. The best technique for me was to grip the clamp by the seam (opposite from the crimp) and twist it, breaking the clamp at the seam. A pox on whoever decided to use those clamps, as they add time and stress to a relatively easy job. Some of the clamps were easy to break apart using the above method, others were very hard to grip. I replaced all the compression clamps with the worm type clamps (about 20 total). Does anyone have a better method for dealing with those compression clamps?

2. I needed another trip to the FLAPS as I thought two feet of fuel hose would be enough for the tank lines, I actually needed closer to three. I suggest buying four feet and having some to spare.

3. I ran the van down as far as I felt comfortable doing (well into the red zone). I still had about two gallons in the tank, which drained out through the fuel line after disconnecting the fuel filter.

4. Golf tees make wonderful hose plugs.

Not a difficult job, but frustrating nonetheless. The tank was in better shape than I hoped, just a bunch of crud on top, no rust at all. The fuel lines were a little brittle, but the plastic lines looked great. Total time spent was 3 hours out and in.

Scott 84 Westy ( building a new van one part at a time...)