Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:46:31 -0700
From:         Pearce Johnson <vanbondo@PRIMENET.COM>
Subject:      Jerome Report ~it aint Kelly Park!
Comments: To: type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com
Comments: cc: VWFOOL@AOL.com

VanBondo here! We planned on leaving Phoenix by noon Friday to get up the hill prior to dark thirty. Per the usual the land of incessant 100F temperature was behind us by 5PM. Caravanning with VWFOOL@AOL.com and his brother Dave in their single cabs we did our best to clog traffic on I-17 northbound. All was well as we finally made our way through the Prescott Valley and filled up at the gas station prior to the final ascent into Gommorah~ I mean Jerome. ;-) Several of the Southern California troops honked as they screamed by in their VTO, Box on Wheels, and Strictly Vintage buses. The road into Jerome is peppered with 15 & 20 MPH hairpin turns. Mountains on one side- drop offs on the other. With this in mind, I lost my headlights on one of the turns due to a build up resistance on the #30 post in the light switch. DOH! I'm glad that I was the leader as it would have been too helpful to have had anybody's tail light to guide by. Whoa! Got it fixed and soon afterwards rolled into a *PACKED* Jamboree. I had advised that some folks get there "early" to nab a space. The official, no BS, count was 127 buses by midnight Friday!!!! Many of our NM, So Cal& Nor Calif friends were already there. Cherry VanBondo and I parked next to BUCKWILDE@aol.com and his flying circus. Our bus was slightly downhill to compansate for the weirdness of the SO-42 Zbed. Finally! a good nights sleep in the RFH! Before crahing for the night I had a chance to ride one of VWFOOL's tank bikes around and share some laughs and a beer with a few mechanical/agriculturalist list lurkers, and other fellow potential future felons. <I'm kidding guys!> Everyone was already having a good time... The vision of the wide flat camp site littered with buses and campfires in the dirt already looked like a scene out of a Mad Max movie. Saturday morning started at seven AM. It felt good to sleep in compared to the regular wake up for the new job. The place was soon hopping with activity. The main caravan from Phoenix rolled in at the "regular" time and had fun finding camp sites. A fun group had erected a doughboy pool and spent all day Friday filling it by making several trips to a near by water source using a 250gallon tank in the rear of an old single cab. The folks who were rumored to be bringing a generator and pin ball machines didn't bring the hardware after all. The swap meet was far better than in past years partially due to the attendance of the vendors, mainly from Nor Cal. I will lobby my vote on thier behalf in the planning of next year's event. My personal thank yous to Jim Thompson, Rex Eastman, The Bus Farmers, Blue Nelson, Danny Zepeda, Charlie and Cheri-Lynn, and all of the previously mentioned players from NM, Cali, and other surrounding States. The party scene was mostly under control and fun. A few "interesting" side shows occured that were way beyond my interests. A mild BBQ with Rex, Jim, Duelist Bradley *Prunehead*, the ladies and Bobby-D was fun. Rex's boy is already a hell of a trooper and hasnt yet seem the backside of three years. All I can say is that Rex is very patient and mellow. Daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-dadd y-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-daddy-Bobby-D likes! were the words of the night. Right on. =) I would have a flock of them if that were the ops.

Sunday morning revealed more treasures and fun. Final count on bus entries was slightly over 300 by 10 AM. Cherry and I took the Resto Camper out of the running for the "Show" competition and did the SWUN thing. Instead we flew our tie-dyed Arizona State flag and the "family crest." My pocketbook was pretty well intact until I made the final pass. I think Jim Thompson did the most damage but was very kind. Thanks for the kiss... ;-) I donated one of my extra "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" (No.9) comics to the auction. It brought more money than it was worth but ~hey it's a VW event, right? The grand prize raffle drawing went down just as Marc, Duelist <duelist@azaccess.com>, explained. I was out of it before I heard the first number. Someone went home in a shiny blue 1965 Kombi. The word was that several folks spent $100-$200.00 on raffle tickets and went home only with the knowledge that the funds went to a good cause. Conclusion: On behalf of the Arizona Bus Club and the Arizona Children's Burn Camp, I unofficially would like thank everyone who attended this years event. With all of the fun and friendship over the weekend it is easy to forget how lucky we all are. The children who attend Camp Courage each Summer thank you all from the bottom of their hearts. Maybe next year you and a *magazine or three* will get a chance to attend. Peace, VanBondo\