Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Sep 1997 07:47:28 8
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions, questions, questions...
Comments: To: Felix Martel <f_m_i@hotmail.com>, vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu

[snipped]

> 1) Does anyone know where I can find camper parts ? I need that locking > plug for the water tank and the window lock for the right side sliding > window (in the sliding door). I filled out the on-line quotation form on > the Bus Depot's Web site and never got a reply. I always thought the plug > for the water tank was to prevent someone from spiking your water, but > after getting a price quote for one from a VW dealer, I now think its to > prevent it from being stolen !

You might want to try Euro-American RV Products, 818-760-4214 (formerly Delta-Six Industries) for the water-fill parts. They were the original equipment suppliers for the Westy conversions and typically have replacement parts for much less than dealer costs.

For the sliding window locks, you'll probably have to go to a dealer (I don't believe these are a Westy conversion item) or VW junk yard.

> 2) I went to a Westy meet a couple of weeks ago and the campground had > the electrical and water connections, so I tried them out and the sink > and fridge worked fine. The following morning, my girlfriend noticed > water dripping from the right-hand side of the bus, under the open > sliding door where the center seat rails are. I turned off the pressure > on the hose connection and the dripping stopped almost immediately. I > turned it back on and the dripping resumed. That's when I noticed the > fridge had stopped as well (@#&*). I was able to getting going on gas, > and it works on battery power with the engine running, but it hasn't > worked on AC since then. I know I must have a leak somewhere, but could > that leak have caused a short in the fridge ? Is there a fuse to change > somewhere ?

The water was probably from a leak in your 'city water' system; very likely due to overpressure in the campground supply system or loose connections in the Westy lines. You will need to examine the Westy system for blown connections or other damage. Personally, I never use hookups, but if you wish to continue to do so, I'd suggest looking into one of the water pressure regulators that the RV stores sell for this application. They will ensure that your city water supply pressures are within spec for the Westy system.

As far as the concurrent fridge failure, I suspect the leak caused a short in the AC that tripped your GFCI (ground fault circuit protection). On my '91 Westy the 115 VAC circuit has a GFCI outlet in the lower most storage compartment, just behind the fridge. The reset button is located on the face of the receptacle.

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com