Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:57:13 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <vwbus@mail.netbiz.net>
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@NETBIZ.NET>
Subject:      FS: 1985 GL, 94k, $1500 obo in WV
Comments: To: type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com

Well looking outside and realizing I have 5 cars I have decided since I can't get rid of any parts on the GTI and as it will be a better mileage winter beater I'm selling the '85 van instead. I've tried this before but I feel this should be a damn appealing offering price for somebody given the fairly good level of maintainence. I am in Keyser WV, 2.5-3 hours from DC, Baltimore, Pittsburg.

particulars

blue metallic GL "weekender interior" no A/C 4 spd

good: over $5000 in receits '91-present major things, two factory heads, clutch, NEW factory P/S rack, radiator by PO, within last 30k miles. by me, new Dansk exhaust 1 yr old, new steel coolant pipes, new P/S pipes, new fuel lines, new front rotors, bearings, pads, new rear shoes, nice used fuel tank, changed tranny oil, new water pump, new O2 sensor TBI, CV's inspected greased, new clutch master, rebuilt slave, new Bosch reman starter, one new upper ball joint TBI.

bad: normal seam rust for this area, normal 12 yr old car questions, carpet pretty crappy rest of interior good, 2nd gear synchros just a tad bit rough, if you pause a second in neutral never a problem, I am overly critical, tires unreinforced about 10k left on them, you can make the choice (Conti's $200/set from Tire Rack), muffler not replaced with exhaust about 10k/ 1 year left on it, rear heater core leaked, fan dead, whole thing removed and lost.

This thing has been my everyday beater. I jump in it and drive it 1000 miles without worry, it turns in 19-22 mpg, recent oil analysis says engine strong, compression checked good when last I measured. ABSOLUTELY no coolant leaks, getting the system back in shape after the coolant pipes was a fair chore and I have been very critical to inspect and acount for any coolant loss, currently has "green stuff" in it as I did not want to use good stuff till I knew the system was solid, I will swap for Prestone LongLife before sale if wanted. I bought it somewhere in the 80k range nearly 2 years ago. I need better mileage, I don't need the room, and the van holds bad personal memories (not about the van though) so I'm wanting rid of it. I got an outlandishly good deal on it cause it needed the exhaust and the coolant pipes and the PO went to dealer for estimate. I have $1200 in it and countless hours on the exhaust and coolant and P/S pipes. I'm open to any fair offers, I think I'm pretty well below book on this. This will make an excellent runner for somebody that needs the room, or dare I say it, the heat for this winter. Quite a few people on the list have seen it, Steve Dolan has driven it, though back then it had a teeny FI problem solved with grounding system repairs. Good van to somebody who needs it, worth the asking in parts alone if you had say a camper you wanted to keep forever.

John Anderson vwbus@netbiz.net JohnD_Anderson@ATK.com (304)788-3704