Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 1997 02:59:38 UT
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon weights?
Comments: To: "David Marshall (by way of Ron Lussier <coyote@likeminds.com>)"
          <david@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>,
          "David Marshall (by way of Ron Lussier <coyote@likeminds.com>)"
          <david@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

A 215 or 225-60/16 should do the job just fine. The 225 is slightly larger than the 205-70/14 and has a higher load capacity. You may have trouble finding this size in a snow tire but a lot of good high performance tires are available. These sizes are now standard equipment on may vehicles including Caravans,(YUK).

Dennis

Hi, I'm trying to find some winter tires for my Transporter, I'm going to try to keep the 16" wheels, but it there are no 16" tires that qualify as a light truck tire that will come to the same rolling diameter as a 205R 14". So, off to the truck scales to weigh the Syncro.

Front = 1000 kg Rear = 930 kg

This is with 70L of gasoline and 100L of Natural Gas. The only thing missing was the driver, the passenger (wife doesn't want to be weighed :) ), and the boarder collie...

So, at this point I look at the tires that are on the truck 225 / 50 16" with a 620 kg maximum load at 44 psi. The spare 225 / 60 16" is rated at 730kg.

Doing the math 620*4 = 2480 kg. So this give me 2480kg > 1930 kg. So, am I wrong at assuming that the tires are OK for my Transporter?

The only think on my door is a tire diagram showing 205R 14" tire pressures and the paint/engine codes.

I did sneak a peak at a Westfalia parked in a parking lot, the 185R 14" Contenental Tires in it were rated at 800kg max load. I'm assuming that a Westfalia is heavier than my Transporter seeing how I don't driving with everything and the kitchen sink (tee hee hee).

What are some of the weights of the Vanagons out there? That I can compare things too?

Thanks!!

-- David Marshall Email: david@volkswagen.org -- -- 80 VW 2.0L Caddy, **WANTED* Audi 4K or 90 Quattro -- -- 85 VW Cabrio, 88 VW Double Cab Syncro Transporter -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- VW Caddy Homepage http://www.abccom.bc.ca/caddy --