Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:09:26 +0400
From:         "Lutomski, Michael G." <Mike.Lutomski@MTLO.NASA.GOV>
Subject:      '85 Waterpump problems

Just joined the list this week.

Making my first posting.

--- Introduction: (Blab, blab, blab. Those in a hurry skip to next section)

Overwhelmed by the amount of information. Over 40 postings a day! Thank God I used "digest mode". Could have used a lot of this info before, but like most of us I learned everything the hardway, on my back on my driveway.

I have a '85 Wolfsburg Westfalia here in Moscow (brought it over from Houston) and used to have a '82 Diesel full Westfalia. For a while me and my wife were a "two Westfalia family". I drove the '82 (truck like) and she drove the '85 with power steering and air (comfortable car like) taking the kids around.

Like most Diesel Vanagon owners I bought it when the engine was burned out because it was a "bargain!" and went through another two engine rebuilds before I unloaded it. It was good to me, but it did not like mountains or hills, I cried non-the-less when I sold it. (but replaced it with a Cabriolet, fun! It fit two baby seats real nice under the roll bar, but it was hard getting the kids in and out with the top up.)

Also had to rebuild the '85 engine when one of the head bolts failed and you know what happens then. That's what we get for buying a air cooled engine that was "retro fitted" with water cooled heads: i.e. Head bolts that are emersed in water. Not too smart of a design.

But like most of you, I like the interior volume and the way they feel and drive. Originally bought it to put windsurfers and drums in but now have acquired a wife and have three kids. Even more practical now. It even started us camping. We never camped before, but since we had this van with a frig and stove and sink and beds, why not try it out??

--- Technical Question:

For the first few years I owned my '85 (bought in '92) I was going through a new water pump every 12-18 months. I first figured that it was due to low quality "after market" water pumps, and then maybe from tightening the alternator-waterpump belt too tight. It seems that with a loose or tight belt, it does not make much difference in life.

(also frustrating is the fact that I would keep it loose and when someone else would work on my van, though it was rare, they would always tighten the belt to do me a favor and I would not always check it).

Now stuck in Moscow I have been blessed with waterpump life of 24 months, but now it looks like the bearing is going on this one also. They are also a major pain to change since you have to strip just about everything off the block to get to it. (but practice makes perfect)

Anyone with a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Desperate in Moscow (Russia),

Mike

P.S. Russia Report: Loads of "Transporters" here as in Europe. Lots of commercial use. The only Westfalia I have seen here are owned by "foreigners" like myself (maybe only three or four in the city). Parts are available here, but like everything in Russia you need to spend weeks looking for something and if someone does not have it, they give you a list of 30 other places to check instead of ordering it for you. Also prices are two to three times what they are in the States. Oil filter $18-20 dollars, etc... even at a outdoor "fleamarket".

Having an APO (like a military base) here at the Embassy here I just Mail order parts from Parts Place in Michigan.