Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:46:31 -0700
From:         Andrew Mera <am1973@MONIKA.DS.BOEING.COM>
Subject:      Norcold altitude kit for 95-97 EVC's
Comments: To: rickgo@halcyon.com

Hello fellow Eurobaggers,

It looks like the logjam on the Norcold fridge high altitude fix is finally breaking; I'd like to think that our Internet campaigning had a partial effect. My 95 EVC just got the kit installed last week; now I got two look-alike exhaust vents; took the camper up to 6,000 ft over the weekend, no problems experienced.

The warranty issue is not clear to me, it seems to be treated on an individual basis, also to depend on the owner's location. For completeness of technical information I'd like to add the following to my Norcold fridge summary of 17.jul.97:

- biggest source of trouble for such an absorption type fridge: water condensation corrodes the interior of steel pipes, consequently rust accumulates in the burn chamber; another big source of trouble is water (from driving in the rain, washing the car), dust, bugs, leaves, etc. getting in through the air intake/exhaust vents to clog the burn chamber; a simple design fix would be for the exhaust pipe to slope up from the vent (thereby draining outward), before bending down into the chamber; older Westfalias used to have an exterior vent cap, meant to attach when the camper is in storage, but also usable when the refrigerator is not on LP (this is dangerous if one forgets to remove it); some custom solutions use a velcro attachment

- known temporary fix: cleaning the burn chamber and sooted rods regularly; unless I learn to remove the unit myself, I am looking at a $140 service bill, at least once a year; this is labeled "maintenance" (as opposed to a design or installation problem), therefore is not covered by any warranty

- diagnosing the need for maintenance: unlike the Winnebago manual description, the flame is not visible below the fridge, through the grill (color an indication of burning quality) even after the installation of my "high altitude vent kit"; Chris Low claims he can see the light; I wonder why mine is obstructed

- 12V DC mode is effective in maintaining low temp only during long driving periods: engine-off disconnects DC cooling, engine-on-again means cooling only after a significant delay; one needs to precool the fridge before 12V DC use

Rick Gordon, you may wish to add this info to your EVC web page cheers, Andy Mera