Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Sep 1997 19:01:35 8
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:      Re: D'OH (metic) fridge
Comments: To: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu

From: Self <Single-user mode> To: Kelly Bauman <bauman@ICAN.NET> Subject: Re: D'OH (metic) fridge Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 19:00:44 8

> At 07:49 25-09-97, Wes Neuenschwander wrote: > >In any case, use of a small fan - in the fridge compartment - will really > >speed things up, and give you more cooling. > > > >-Wes > Does anyone know this for sure. Not anecdotal evidence but scientific ( > I will settle for pseudo scientific) evidence. I recently had my fridge > serviced at an RV place that knew the 182B backwards and forwards. They > really impressed me with their ability and knowledge. I asked them about > the fan since they had some for sale. They said that you don't need it > for the 182B (thus denying themselves a sale of a fan to me). I must > admit it works well without it (although I haven't tried making ice > cubes). > > Does anyone out there have any data on this? > > > Kelly Bauman > Delta, BC > '91 Westy >

Check out:

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/Files/Refrigerator-Manual

Derek Drew did a lot of investigation into this, and while he doesn't list his data here, my recollection is that he (or someone else) had the data to back his recommendations up. Frankly, I've found the improvement to be substantial enough that I don't need the data. The fan is especially effective when you've got a lot of stuff in the compartment, but it even helps when it's nearly empty. Also helps provide more temperature uniformity, another plus. Sound engineering principles as well; convection just doesn't move enough air for efficient energy transfer with such a limited heat exchanger area.

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com