Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Sep 1997 15:11:01 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: mysterious thumping sound
Comments: To: James Adams <jadams@SKIMMER.FSL.NOAA.GOV>

James,

Two possibilities:

1) Had a similar noise on my '87 a few years back. I finally found a nut loose on the pivot bolt on the upper control arm - front suspension - on the driver's side. Changing forces would tend to shift the arm fore&back slightly on the loose pivot, making a slight thump just under the driver's seat - where it's very hard to tell which direction it's from. Could also be worn bushings or ball joints - but I'd suspect the front left suspension, as the noise under the driver seems non-directional.

2) On my '91 had a small thump due to sticking brake shoes/cylinders on the rear. Again, this sounded like a shift of something in transition from braking to acceleration, but would often happen some seconds after releasing brakes, when power was applied.

I rebuilt the rear brakes, since I had over 100K on them, but they were really 1/2 worn and had no obvious problems. I think the real problem may just have been that I needed to change the brake fluid. The noise cleared up after the brake work in any case.

Tom Austin, TX '87, '91, '97 (&'62 ragtop)