Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Sep 1997 20:10:40 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sticking brakes
Comments: To: RubatoGuy@AOL.COM

Same thing just happened to me on my '87. I installed new pads and rotors but did not rebuild the calipers and that was the problem. With the increased width of the new pads and rotors, the caliper piston operates in a different area of the cylinder, which is probably grungy and won't allow the piston to travel freely. I had to pull off the calipers and disassemble and clean them--that fixed the problem. Follow the Bentley instructions for disassembling the calipers and be sure to use new self-locking bolts when putting the calipers back on. I was unable to easily locate a rebuild kit for the calipers, but my seals and boots looked good so I just cleaned off the crud and reused them. Another day of labor and a lesson learned.

-Mark McCulley '87 syncro Westfalia

----------------------------------------------------------------- I just replaced pads and rotors on my '88 Vanagon. (Girling brakes) I thought that I had done everything according to the manual, and even made sure to add caliper grease to all the sliding areas on the calipers.

However the brakes are always dragging, never fully releasing. If I take a drive of 10 miles or so, I can get out and smell the hot brake pads, and the alloy wheel is hot to the touch.