Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:16:03 -0400
From:         Scoob <scoob@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      77 Westy engine overhaul! Help! Suggestions needed.

Hello to all, It has been about 2 years since I was last on the Vanagon list, and feel a bit guilty jumping on again, having not given to it for so long, but... I have an emergency or at least to me it is an emergency. So here goes..

I have a 1977 westy, automatic, and until last Thursday I thought in excellent conditioning. It has ran without problem for me since purchasing it in the summer of '95. I have a naughty oil leak, but check the oil every morning before starting, I change it frequently, and always warm it up before driving even if I am late for an appointment. I drive it with care, etc. I try and take as good care of "Cassidy" as I know how. So this past Thur. I took it into the only mechanic in Atlanta that I trust for a tune up, had all gone as planned I would be in the mountains of N. Carolina right now, but... Returning home having dropped the bus off I had a message from the mechanic to call asap. BTW, I go to Automotive Service and Restoration on Atlanta RD in Smyrna. The call was to inform me that when he had pulled the oil filter screen, that he found metal shavings that he said were crankshaft bearings, and that I had 2 options, replace then engine or overhaul it. I am not terribly mechanically inclined and read Muir like a holy doctrine. So after having said all that and if you are still reading my thanks:) I am trying to decide what to do, I love this Bus, it's body and interior are almost mint. I am a bit short on cash, having just rebuilt my 12 yr old sheepdogs hip for $3500, this I guess is the fall when I rebuild the things I love. The estimate the shop gave me was between 1.5k and 2.5k depending on what needs to be done and whether I get a new/rebuilt engine. They also are very busy and can not even begin to start the project until late Nov. I am cluesless about what to do, I just read the Muir section on overhauling, and thought OK maybe I can do this. I have never done much more than changing the oil.

Here are my questions, 1. Any thoughts on a novice trying an overhaul? 2. Anyone in the Atlanta area who would want to help me (I would pay hourly rate for time spent helping me)? 3. Any referals to good quality mechanic in the greater Atlanta area? 4. Should I take the metal found to a different mechanic for a second opinion? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreaciated, thanks in advance. Scott Bogen aka Scoob Atlanta GA