Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Sep 1997 15:29:37 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 77 Westy engine overhaul! Help! Suggestions needed.
Comments: To: Scoob <scoob@MINDSPRING.COM>

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Scoob wrote:

> Here are my questions, > 1. Any thoughts on a novice trying an overhaul?

Well, it certainly CAN be done by a novice; I rebuilt the Type1 motor in my old '64 when I was in my teens (many, many years ago) and I've rebuilt the Type4 motor in my current '81. HOWEVER, you need quite a few tools, quite a bit of time (everything ALWAYS takes longer than you think) and you'll undoubtedly sweat bullets worrying about things you might have forgot, worrying about things you come across that aren't fully explained in ANY book, and wondering if you made a mistake in undertaking this project.

There's also the issue of costs; if you have to buy or rent tools, pay retail for parts, pay retail for machinist's time, etc., etc. you'll be hard-pressed to end up paying less than the quote you're getting from the shop.

If this isn't a daily driver, if you have some mechanical skill and/or confidence in your ability, if you want a "project" and the satisfaction of (hopefully) doing the job right yourself, and you don't mind investing in some tools that you can use later, then go for it!

The short answer to your question as to whether a novice can rebuild this engine is "Yes". Only you can determine if you should do it.

> 2. Anyone in the Atlanta area who would want to help me (I would pay > hourly rate for time spent helping me)?

I'm no help here.

> 3. Any referals to good quality mechanic in the greater Atlanta area?

I'm no help here either.

> 4. Should I take the metal found to a different mechanic for a second > opinion?

This is a tough one and one somebody with more experience than I have can probably answer better. If you have real confidence in this mechanic, then why bother? But if the car was running good, not making any noises, etc. I'd wonder where those shavings came from. Perhaps an oil pressure test could help in the diagnosis?