Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 1997 02:09:58 -0400
From:         Ken and Charlotte Miller <104303.704@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      VW Sharan/New Bugs/98 EV's
Comments: To: Bill Abbott <wabbot@mtest.teradyne.com>,
          IAN ABBOTT <74221.3661@compuserve.com>,
          ALAN STEDNITZ <astednitz@co.slo.ca.us>

First I have some questions about the 98 EV and Bug sightings.

Were they "true Bugs" (As in Mexican Beetles,) or were they Concept Ones?

Were the EV's camper or standard models?

On to the meat of my post.....

Just returned from a two week vacation in Great Britain. Left for the airport with five people and luggage with my father-in-law driving our EV.

He did great with the exception that he hadn't driven stick in 15 years.

We originally were slated to rent a station wagon but my wife correctly pointed out that all of our stuff wouldn't fit into it. Nothing that more cash couldn't cure. We upgraded to a VW Sharan Minivan. Seats seven and

is front engine but thats about all it has in common with the EV. Upon seeing it my three year old son wailed "Thats not my van!" It just took him a little time to warm up to it. The van is smaller (read cramped) than the EV and I found the middle and rear seats less comfortable than my EV's.

The Sharan is similar to the Honda Odyssey with four hinged doors and a hatchback. The rear seats fold up neatly to give some good cargo space.

We had a 2 litre gas engine and auto which did just fine. TDI's are available as well as the VR6. The VR6 must go like a bat out of hell.

They weren't cheap and I saw a year old one advertised for 18K pounds. Overall it was a great van for our trip and it just makes me appreciate my EV even more.

I don't think there are any Sharan owners on the list, are they?

Finally, I also saw a VW Caddy. A Polo (Fox equivalent to the rest of the world) front with a covered truck body with rear door. Very cool. I think a Caddy owner could also belong on this list.

Ken 104303.704@compuserve.com