Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 1997 01:16:57 -0500
From:         bpremack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Fw: Transmission question

---------- > From: bpremack <bpremack@wavetech.net> > To: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@IBM.NET> > Subject: Re: Transmission question > Date: Wednesday, October 01, 1997 12:59 AM > >Todd, > > I have also considered ways to reduce the high cruising rpms. A quick and > easy way to modify your gearing is to simply increase the size of your > tires. If, for instance, you shift only one tire size (for example, from > 195/70 R14 to to 205/70 R14), your diameter moves from 636mm to 652mm. > After multiplying by Pi (3.14) to get circumference, you will find an > increase of 7.7%. This means that your rpm (in all gears) will drop by > 7.7% for any speed. If your Van is like mine, 3800 rpm @ 65-70 mph is > reduced to about 3500 rpm, which is much better for all day cruising. A > shift from 195/70 R14 to 215/70 R14 will result in a reduction of 14%, > which may be even better for engine longevity and gas economy. Just > remember to downshift as needed so you don't harm your engine. Obviously, there is a size limitation based upon the Vanagon wheel housing/suspension dimensions and the spacing available before wheel travel will impinge upon other components. > > If you choose this technique, remember that your odometer and speedometer > will also be off by the same % factor. Your apparent readings will be > higher than your actual speed and distance. My speedometer guru says that > it is quite easy (in other words, inexpensive) to adjust the > speedometer/odometer gears to correct for this factor. (His name will be > supplied upon request.) > > I have a table of tire diameters ( taken from this list some time ago) which I cannot post now as I do not have a scanner. If any listees want a copy, I will make arrangements to have it posted to the list. > If anyone wants any further info, or if I have omitted some relevant calculation or logical analysis, please let me know. > > > Budd Premack > 86 Syncro, 84 Van, 73 Super > Minneapolis, MN > bpremack@wavetech.net