Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Sep 1997 06:29:34 -0400
From:         Gary Clendening <garyc@SATURN.CAPS.MAINE.EDU>
Subject:      Maine/Baxter

Baxter State Park was unable to shake any of those Winnebago gadgets loose! Did 100 miles within the confines of the Park region (one has to be here to appreciate the term "region") which included about thirty miles of gravel/stone roads. By the time we got back to I-95, B thought the thing would rattle. "at least a little bit."

Not a bit.

The roads in Baxter Park were in nice shape for the end of the season and there were plenty of empty tent sites. Took in moose, ducks, and deer while we were both hiking and touring. What a platform to photograph from the EVC! Visited Abol Beach site; you shouldn't miss this place when you're there next time. Very nice beach and rarely used because it's off the tote road about a half mile. Don't miss it at sunset. Sounds of cold water rushing over hard, granite racks enhance the ambiance with this land of the pointed firs

Some EVC data for other owners; got 24.2 mpg (okay, guys, we don't drive above 60, but why hurry when you're touring). Used both 87 and 89 gas...doesn't seem to make a big difference at first, BUT I used 89 gasoline while we toured park in second and third gears most of time, but finished off tank with 130 miles at turnpike (55-60) speeds (we're not in a hurry!). Mileage with park and I-95 was 20.3 mpg using that 89 gas. Maybe it DOES make a difference, huh?

This Friday we're off for Calais, Maine and over to New Brunswick/beyond. Anyone for this trip? Making plans to be in Old Orchard on Sept 13-14 just to meet a crowd of VW peoples...looking forward to this first experience. But we won't be in a hurry!

Wish you were here,

Gary and Belle from Hallowell, ME '72 Westy (gone to iron oxide) '97 EVC