Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:04:59 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ox reset/Syncro ?????
Comments: To: Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>,
          Don Gibbons <dgibbons@presray.com>, Rob <becida@bji.net>,
          Alexander Vitakis <avitakis@pipeline.com>,
          Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>

SyncroBeast re> Ox reset/Syncro ????? Mine does NOT have one!!!! '89 Syncro I swear, it's not there.

OK, THANKS to all who claim they have found this little box on there 2 wh drive Vanagon's. and to a few who said it was on older Syncro's. Here's what I found last night on my '89 SyncroBeast.

Since I got home too late to change into my coveralls, just before I went to bed, I'm out in the garage layin under the van in my boxer's. What a sight. Good thing the SO and Tersa had gone to bed hours earlier.

I followed every lineal inch of that cable from the front differential, forward above and across the spare tire, up past the radiator, behind the headlight and into the back of the speedo. I then looked in Bently, cover to cover. I do see where the unit is supposed to be, left frame rail behind the radiator, and the electrical schematics don't show ANYTHING different for a SYNCRO......

BUT IT AIN"T THERE GENTLEMAN, IT AIN"T THERE!!!!!

Every inch of the cable was looked at, I missed NONE of it. Honest.

Does ANYONE with a Syncro have a similar experience?????

update in the last minute. Tobie at West Side says the speedo heads are different on Syncro's than they are on 2 wh dr. hmmm. Next thing to look at is that. Check the back of the speedo head to see if there is a reset button there. (Tobie says that if you put a regular speed on a Syncro, it'll read 90 per at 60. He also mentioned an older ?beetle? that used to have the reset button on the speedo???? Something to check into.)

2nd update. One respondee implied that it might ???be attached to the front differential???

Ch '89 Syncro Beast '87 GTI 16V '86 Scirocco (SO's) Prior Lake, MinneSnowta