Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:52:13 -0400
From:         John Graham <2jlg@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need advice buying a Westy
Comments: To: abiyu@erols.com

Lucien,

Welcome to the club (or at least the wannabe club). I'm (we're) on our third Westy; started with a '72, traded that for an '80, were 'un-Westy' for a while and finally realized the error of our ways about 5 months ago and found an '88 Westy which we are very happy with.

As far as a response to your question about whether there is anything wrong with an '87 Westy... Not as far as I know. All of the water cooled Vanagons have a challenging cooling system and I guess the older that they get, the more challenging they 'can be'. Personally, I like tinkering with the van; I leave the difficult stuff to a dealer or someone else who I trust.

Will an 10 year old vehicle be trouble free? probably NOT! I guess you have to decide whether you want the 'status' that goes with having one and value the freedom and options that it can give. I suspect that there are few Vanagon list members who don't have a Bentley's manual. If you are really new to your quest, the Bentley Manual is the 'Official VW Service Manual and is about an inch and a half thick and cost ~$75 bucks. This is the 'Bible' if you will of those who 'keep the flame' and the Vanagons going. With one of these, you can at least identify various parts on your vehicle. Maybe one of these days there will be an audio section to let your hear audibly, what various good and bad behavior sounds like.

This Vanagon list is a great resource for immediate help with questions and the archives provide a kind or long term collection of wisdom of people who are maintaining their unique vehicles. One of my points of view is that there are a lot of people who have no significant problems with their Vanagons and are just 'lurkers' on the list. Fortunately, I am one of these most of the time. (Perhaps my time will come.)

If you are new to Vanagons and VWs, I would recommend finding a competent mechanic or trusted resource to guide you in your acquisition.

Good luck and let us hear from you again.

John Graham '88 Westy Charlotte NC