Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Sep 1997 10:05:26 -0700
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
              ignored.
From:         Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@DCN.DAVIS.CA.US>
Subject:      Re: Tires for 91 westy - options?
Comments: To: Jahan_Byrne@ccgate.apl.com, Multiple recipients of list
          <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu>

Jahan,

These are tires I've seen used on campers.

Bridgestone 185 R 14, RD-603, 8-ply rated, D load range, 1850 lbs. @ 65 psi. This tire is listed in the dealers catalog as the 603-V (although it could be 603-B). Loaded revolutions per mile are 811. This tire seems to be the easiest to find in my area. Firestone tire dealers usually stock them. It's four-rib tread design is a mild all-season and looks similar to the Y-356. Prices for an installed set of four range from $336 to $412, but Tire Rack mail order sells for $61 each. There is also a C load range that has supposedly been discontinued but still somewhat available. For more technical info., call Bridgestone at 1-800-754-2530.

Toyo LT 195/75 14, Z-24, 8-ply rated, $79 to $99 per tire, not installed. I met a Vanagon owner who raved about their stability and easier steering compared to the original equipment Continentals. It has a four-rib mild all-season tread design. When I called Toyo for technical specs., I was told the tire has been discontinued. Winston tire dealers stock this tire and they seem to have lots of them.

Yokohama LT 195/75 14, Y-356, "Super Van 356", 8-ply rated, load range D, 1710 lbs. @ 65 psi. Loaded revolutions per mile: 808. $58 at Tire Rack mail order. This is the lowest price heavy duty tire I could find. Four-rib mild all-season tread design has three fairly wide (about 6mm) grooves between blocks of tread. The two outside ribs are pretty much solid rubber. There is also a load range C version.

Michelin XC4S 185R14 C PR6, 6-ply rated, 1710 lbs. @ 55 psi., European commercial rated. The tread design looks like an aggressive all season style, or a mild snow tread. It reminds me of the Goodyear Wrangler, with four rows of diagonal blocks. I have a set of the XC4S and the tire is quiet on pavement, but those big blocks of rubber are wiggley and can wear unevenly if you do not rotate frequently. Because of the uneven wear I recently decided to buy a second set of tires for usually dry pavement. Bob Bellanca recently found these for about $365 per set, installed, at Costco.

Mike <mjcatlin@dcn.davis.ca.us> Davis, No. Calif., U.S.A. ---------- > From: Jahan Byrne <Jahan_Byrne@ccgate.apl.com> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Tires for 91 westy - options? > Date: Monday, August 18, 1997 4:52 PM > > > > The choices for tires are sure becoming meager. From the > archives, I've gleaned the following popular options for my > (new to me) 91 Westy, non-syncro w/alloys: > > Michelin MXT 205/70R14 > Reinforced 6-ply > Approx. $93 in SF Bay Area > > Yokohama Y370 LT 195/75R14 > Light Truck 8-ply > Unavailable in SF Bay Area > > The tire dealer said the Yoko Y370 has been replaced by the > SD05, otherwise known as the "Super Digger" for $71. The name > Super Digger conjures images of an aggressive tread pattern, > and howling tire noise on the Interstate as a result. A call > to Yokohama HQ to confirm the demise of the Y370, a perennial > listserv favorite, has yet to be returned. > > The tire dealer said the Y370's 195/75R14 is not the > recommended aspect ratio for a top-heavy Westy, and that > 185/80R14 or 205/70R14 are the only suitable choices. He said > he's seen two Westys with the Y370s where the tire had > separated. He wasn't too hip on these, as you can surmise. > > The only other choice the dealer has available was one I'd > never heard of: > > Cooper Signet 185/80SR14 > 8-ply > $63 > > Has anyone ever heard of this tire brand? > > Does anyone know if the Yokohama Y370 is still available? > > Does anyone have any other recommendations that are less > expensive, and/or better than the Michelins? > > If you respond directly to me, I will gather up the responses > and post the findings to the group. > > > Thanks, > > Jahan > jahan_byrne@ccgate.apl.com