Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Sep 1997 14:50:19 -0400
From:         Ric Golen <RGOLEN@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      An apology (was: RE: Hot VWs Artical)

Ok,

I'll be the first to admit when I screw up....and I'd like to apologize to Ronald McDonald and the rest of the list on the flame that was directed at Ronald. There's something about the mention of Hot VWs &/or VW Trends being great sources of information that send me into a rant....unfortunately the keyboard got away from me a bit. Again, sorry.

However, I will NEVER apologize for my position on VW T&A and Hot VWs as being anything but thinly disguised advertisements. VWs, whether they be bugs, busses, Things, Golfs, Jettas, etc., are extraordinary cars. They are well designed, long lasting, and have one thing that Japanese or American cars lack - personality. That personality is what attracts all of us to these cars, face it. This list is one manifestation of this attraction. The advise that is given here, the stories told, the camaraderie, the care we put in our VWs all show this.

Unfortunately the editors of the above mentioned rags seem to be of the opinion that we are mindless beings who are easily swayed by flimsy editorial content, bimbo photos, etc. I resent being treated by an editor as some mindless oaf who is willing to shell out $4 or $5 for drivel and in turn be thankful for the drivel. This is my main bitch at these magazines.

There are three VW publications in this world that are, IMHO, worthless... Hot VWs, VW Trends and Chilton Manuals. It amazes me that the BEST VW writing and information comes form some of the less commercial sources...this list....club newsletters. I'd rather plunk down $20+/year for a membership in GASS, LiMBO, Connecticut Volkswagen Association, etc. than to plunk down $10/month on the commercially available rags (and from what I see the so-called "new" mag - VW Customs and Classics seems to be a clone of VW Trends, et al).

Why is it that this list and club magazines are better sources of information on VWs than the magazines? I'll give you two reasons:

1. The folks who are on this list and put club newsletters together are driven by one thing alone...their love for VWs

2. Revenue to the clubs is driven by the value these clubs are to their members, not by advertising revenue.

That's all I have to say...and again, sorry for the personal flames.

Ric