Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Sep 1997 14:51:05 +0200
From:         "Zeidler HelmutNTC-Dusseld." <zeidler@NTCCSC01DU.NTC.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Transporter, Caravelle, Multivan etc.

On behalf of Michael, this in plain text:

Helmut

Hey Listees,

This is a short introduction to who is who in the german (and other european countries) names for what this list calles the vanagon. But-even in europe its different from country to country.

-Basic version. TRANSPORTER badged panel-van, here called Kastenwagen Windows only in the front-compartment and rear window, even the rear window could be wanted to be from metal. All engines available, autos also available, but most of them sold as diesels or turbodiesels with 4-speed. Two sliding doors available.

High-roof version (Hochraumkastenwagen) also available from the factory with two versions of sliding-doors, normal one and enlarged (higher) one, sold zillion times to the post-offices (Deutsche Bundespost) and when worn out, converted to home-builded campers.

Pick-ups and Twin-cabs are also called Transporters, pick-ups called Pritschenwagen, also available in a wider cargo-bed version, called Grossraum-Pritschenwagen. Twin-cabs (or duoble-cabs) are called Doppelkabine. All these are badged TRANSPORTER.

-Kombi Also a very basic version, some years KOMBI badged. Comes with a body like the vanagon, that means its got windows all around. Available with 2 (vinyl) seats only in the drivers compartment or with up to 9 seats. Skyliner only above the front seats, rest is covered with hardboard. Very loud and basic car, very often commercial used to carry builders to and from work or as delivery cars. The car that the boss gives to his employees, not for his own use. High-roof versions also available.

-Caravelle The more car-like versions. Different specifications available, C, CL, GL, Carat.

-Caravelle C Black bumpers, chromed hubs, 7-9 vinyl seats (cloth seats available), full skyliner, fresh air in the rear compartment, ashtrays. Folding bed available. A/C available. Often used as school bus.

-Caravelle CL As above, but additional two-tone paintwork, chromed bumpers, clock, trip-speedo, chromed window-trim, nicer steering wheel, cigarette-lighter, lockable glove box, openeing quarter windows in the front doors.

-Caravelle GL As above, but special two toned paintwork, passengers sun visor with illuminated make-up mirror, carpets all around the floor, better front seats with 2 armrests, 7 or 8 velours cloth seats, foldable armrests for the rear seats, heated rear window, rear wiper..

-Caravelle High end version with everything you want-exept a "weekender Carat bed". Special metallic paintwork. Rectangular front beams (all years). Frontspoiler, bumpers and sidecovers in matching clours, alloys 6Jx14 with 205/70 R14, power mirrors, power steering, rev-counter, special steering wheel, speciaL dashboard cover, stereo cassette, heat exchanger under rear seats, 6 superb quality seats (2-2-2), the two in the middle to be turned, fold away desk, boxes everywhere. petrol engines only, 5 speed or auto. 2WD only (only 1 or 2 factory hand-made synchros ever builded for vvvips, one still known with a wbx6 oettinger). Sold as busines cars. 80% of those you see here in germany have been used by VW factory as first owner.

-Multivan The multi purpose van with a westfalia made folding bed, folding desk, one seat behind the drivers seat against driving direction, 12 V DC/220 V AC -cooling box (peltier) behind the front passengers seat, cloth seats, front seats with armrests, carpets on the front floor, wooden floor pvc covered in the back, clip in curtains, 2nd battery. westfalia pop up roof available. It seems, the basic car is a Caravelle C with all the above mentioned goodies including a CL steering wheel.

-Multivan Hannover edition / Wolfsburg edition. 2WD only. Whitestar/ Multivans with white /metallic blue paintwork, carpets Bluestar everywhere, 7 grey toned premium cloth seats, carat lights, bumpers, side covers, alloys, dashboard, power steering, power mirrors, 5 speed (a few autos seen), power lock, 1.6 l Turbodiesel or 2.1 l Digijet (no catalyst) or 2.1 l Digifant (with catalytic converter). Highly desirable. Pop up top NOT available. Also badged as MULTIVAN.

-Last Limited Offered in 92, made in austria by Steyer Puch as 2WD. Edition Dark metallic (orly)blue or tornadored. Spec as White/ Bluestar, 2500 numbered cars with special badges "limited last edition" in front and back, front doors with stickers showing actual number (1418 of 2500) 5 speed only, 1.6 l TD or 2.1 l Digifant. Mega desirable. Sold out in weeks.

-Redstar Sold in late 92, some seen with 93 registration. Made because of the enormous response of the LLE, dont know how many, not seen offered at the dealership, spec like the red LLE w/o LLE Badges. Many of them sold to VW factory workers. I have only seen 1.6 l TDs yet.

-Tristar The ultrarare 4 door Twincab with High-end-Interior. Special Edition, seen in white, green and red. I ve seen four over the years, three TDs and one 2.1 digifant. I ve only seen synchros so far, but with a number of four that does not mean too much.

-Westfalias The campers came from Westfalia-nearly all of them. They were badged TRANSPORTER or CAMPING, I think that depends on the year. Different specifications, not everything available all years. Two different roofs, pop up top (like pre 79s) or fixed polyester high-roof (not the above mentioned commercial high-roof). 4 berth, fridges LPG/12V DC/220V AC, sink, gas cooker, turnable passengers seat, 2 batteries. Eberspaecher petrol-heater available. 2WD and 4WD synchro versions available, all known engines available, from special 1.6 l (yes!!!) and 2.0 l aircooled to 1.6 l Diesel, TD, 1,9 l petrol to 2.1 digijet/digifant injection, depending on the year. All Westfalias are called JOKER. JOKER and SPORT JOKER are basic versions (it seems they are based on the KOMBI) CLUB JOKER was the higher range camper that seemed to base on something like the Caravelle C or CL.

Vanagon Yes, we have had Vanagon badged busses here. In 1991 when the Caravelles have been sold out and the T4 (Transporter, 4th Generation, official VW-slang) was new, some intelligent people still wanted the old shape and got it- from the US and Canada, where some were still sitting in the dealers showrooms. They have been re-imported to Fatherland, converted to German Headlights+++ and sold by the VW dealership. I guess it must have been about 500 cars, but thats only estimated.

But more than that have been oficially sold by VW- the two camper versions called "California" and "Atlantic". Both are 2WD 90s, non Joker but VANAGON badged campers, sold directly by Volkswagen, as far as I know assembled in Hannover, not Westfalia-Wiedenbrueck. They have been slightly cheaper than the Club-Joker with the same high-end interior and power steering, power lock plus the carat styled bumpers. Californias are white or dark red, Atlantics are calypso light green metallic, TD or 2.1 digifant. I ve seen Californias with both roofs, but can only remember to high-roof Atlantics.

Thats it with german vanagon (or T3, transporter 3rd Generation) history in short form.

I will never forget that weekend back in late 79, when I was sitting in my 58 on a campground, looking to the brandnew camper beside us and telling my girlfriend, that I would never get used to that shape...now its history and I wished I had kept my 88 2.1digijet auto multivan...Goodthanks I have never sold the 58. Please excuse my terrible english. Is anybody out there a teacher who could send me a corrected version back (still try to learn...)?

BTW, I have problems to get in the List-Digest mode. Listserv always sends me back a message that I would not be subscribed, but I still get mail. For the next three weeks we are going on tour with our 77 westy, so I will have to unsubscribe from tuesday to avoid undelivered mails (mailbox is only 100 mails deep).

I hope to find you back in a few weeks time, best wishes from Germany,

Michael Meier (20 mls from Wolfsburg)