Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 1997 09:12:43 -0400
From:         J <soreal@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Maintaining a Vanagon ( LONG)

Well, after tearfully answering each inquiry about my '85 Westy that I _thought_ I wanted to sell, I have decided to rethink this whole thing, and maybe keep it, and sell my Suburban. I was going to sell both vehicles and get a new Eurovan, but the top bunk in the new ones sets my claustrophobic teeth on edge, and the beds are not nearly as comfortable. I have some questions, and would appreciate input from anyone more knowledgeable (which means just about anyone.)

One of the reasons that I was selling was because I am so tired of getting ripped by mechanics for every single thing that I've needed to have done. Just how difficult is it to work on these things? Mine's an automatic, by the way.

I renovated houses for about 15 years, but the last 10 or so, acted mainly as a general; it's been a long time since I did any hands-on wiring or plumbing. For some reason, while I grew up privy to the workings of all things house-related, no one ever worked on their cars. I brought this subject up at a family dinner not long ago, and there was a collective groan and a unanimous suggestion to dump the VW.

Questions:

1. Which manuals do I need? Which is best for the truly mechanically retarded?

2. What tools do I need, and where do I get them?

3. What is the absolute easiest thing to start out with? An oil change maybe? I'm guessing; that's how clueless I am.

My thoughts are that I'll take her in to a local place for a checkup, and let them itemize what's wrong. There is nothing huge that I know of that needs attention, but my mpg has drifted down. I do know that I need some exhaust work done; she's gotten kind of noisy. Is this something that is better left to wise ones?

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

Joan