Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:41:57 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 83.5 Trans grinds into reverse?
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 01:52:22 -0400 (EDT) Oxroad@aol.com writes: >Ken-- > >Ok. The count to ten trick works. I push in the clutch and count to ten, then >shift into reverse. No grind. > >So Thanks. And I have a follow -up question. > >Does that mean my problem is solved? Or am I simply avoiding a symptom of >something that will have to be addressed sooner or later?

If I recall this started after a tranny rebuild correct? When I had to replace third gear in mine I remember there was a shim under the reverse idle gear. The size of which required some math to calculate. If the clearance is a bit on the tight side the gear will spin a bit longer after pushing in the clutch. Since reverse is not synchronized it will not match speeds with the main shaft and grind. Counting to ten gives it time to stop spinning. In my case I do not think it is any thing to worry about. Two years later I only count to four. If you are still worried run this past the fellow who rebuilt it. > >I might add I got several suggestions from list members to solve the problem. >They ranged from adjusting the clutch to bleeding the clutch. And then >suggestions that the clutch might be oil soaked and grabbing. or the pilot >bearing might be going, and therefore grabbing the input shaft.> >As near as I can tell the hydraulic clutch is not adjustable. Bleeding the >system seems like a good idea. In fact Bentleys says to flush or maybe it's >bleed the system every year or two. ( I don't have the Bentley in front of me >because I park my Vanagon and Bentley about 50 miles away @ my parents >home.) > These are all good suggestions, though I agree, I know of no way to adjust a hydraulic clutch. I was under the impression that they were self adjusting. I think flushing the system is a must every two years or better if you live in a humid environment. Since it does not grind after C.2.10(counting to ten)I doubt if anything is broken.

>Anyway if you suffered this grind and know of a long -term solution I'd >appreciate any more advice you might have. Or if you think the idea is just >to wait after disengaging the clutch because that give the trans time to >stop spinning-- and therefore I'm going on needlessly, also please let me >know. > >I really appreciate your solution. Thanks > >Jeff >83.5 Westy >

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis <Kernersville NC, The Heart of the Triad> 86 VW Transporter Three Door Pickup 60 Porsche T-5 Coupe 85 VW GL Vanagon<Elvis>awaiting engine