Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 1997 12:54:25 -0700
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      Blown steering racks: read pls.

Hi all.

I went through this last year, just one replacement. Here's the poop.

VW sells a seal kit, $180Cdn for all the seals to rebuild the rack. BUT!!!

1) They do not sell the seals (3) to rebuild the input shaft region, which is the valve body for the whole PS system. The seals are likely available in Europe, from an aftermarket supplier BUT!!!

2) The seals on the input shaft rotate inside the aluminium valve body and move directly against the machined inner surface of the body. The seals wear down the aluminium body, and as they stiffen/wear out themselves they leak across the valve region. This kills the PS working, and may or may not result in an external leak.

3) VW does not sell the valve body, either new or rebuilt as a separate unit, only whole racks for $970Cdn.

4) only known fix, done in decent well equipped FACTORY is to overbore the valve body then re-sleeve it with a stainless steel liner bored to original size. If you can get the seals, 'member!?

My rebuilt rack, literally mine since there were no cores/rebuilts available, came in a factory box from MOOG, who have the ability to do such a repair, and warranty it for a year.

I'd be screaming for my money back for the WCM rebuilt/seals, and get a friendly mech/FLAPS to send in your rack to MOOG via whatever pathway it takes. Mine went FLAPS - regional distributer - MOOG. Cost $360Cdn thanks to nice mechanic, (reg. $420) spring '96. The VW dealer here has failed 3-4 times to rebuild PS racks, said it wasn't worth the customer relations so they would only use a VW rebuilt/new unit.

One final warning note: If your rack comes back again, lift up the shaft seal/cover around the input shaft and look for very very sticky goop smeared in there. This is a quick fix that buys some time, enough to make you go away happy until the 'warranty' period is over. Mine was doctored like this before I sent it in, when the main rack seals all blew. It had been gooped at least 2 years prior since it was fine when I bought it. Maybe the goop is good? Tearing down a rack is no mean feat BTW, not worth it as you will never fix it anyhow, BTDT and wasted my time.

Hoope this helps. I am now a big fan of manual steering BTW, simple is good, even in a Syncro the steering effort isn't to outrageous. Watch the wheel kick backs when climbing rocks though! ouch.

Bye, Tim