Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:25:09 -0400
From:         PACO <"PACO @ 28th (PACO)%New York Media Group"@MCIMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fresh air vent motor [& PS hose]

Text item: Text Item

Bob,

Two years ago when I joined the list this was my very first project on my '90 Westy. I was really scared to tackle it 'cause I really don't have any training, tools or even more than a driveway to work in. I was sure I would disassemble the dashboard and then need something I didn't have with no way to get it.

It was Joel Walker, Dan Beatty, and Berry Kercheval that gave me the confidence to do it. I tried to find a copy of the original messages for you but couldn't locate them. From my notes, the things they all said were to: Go slow, plan on taking a whole day to do it and get a Bentley manual. It paid off for me. I was able to replace the fan without more than the expected cursing at stubborn moments.

The problem I understand comes from the fact that the fan is lubricated by a fixed supply being fed by centrifugal force. Once the lubricant starts running out it takes a stronger force to get it moving and keep it moving. I was tempted to put a used one in, but the amount of work required convinced me to buy new and try and do the job only once.

Good luck and I hope you take as much satisfaction out of being able to tell the dealer/mechanic you don't need him 'today'.

Clark Carr

PS: Does anyone know where I can locate used; a small flexible hose that connects from the power steering pump to the metal tube running to the front of a '90 Westy? It's my current project. The dealer wants $250 for the part alone and already charged me $35 to 'fix' the problem by putting 2 hose clamps around the outer protective rubber sheath to 'stop' the leaking. I hate giving him business more than ever.