Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Sep 1997 19:55:29 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <bloss@mailman.enter.net>
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      oil pressure gauge installation (longish)

A la Sean, I am also getting around to installing my dual sender and analog oil pressure gauge. For those that don't know the saga and my kvetching on the list, I've had the oil light come on. The whole story and my findings before today are at:

http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/oilpress.html

Anyway, I drained the oil and removed the filter. I got the engine tin off (after shearing off one of the bolts that goes into the block - $^#$&# - now how do I get that sucker out?!?). BTW, it's much easier to get at the bolt that goes into the rear exhaust pipe when you take the oil filter off. I got the original sender out with my 24mm deep well socket (I had been warned). I attached the hose (courtesy of Jim Thompson), attached the dual sender and used alligator clips to try the electronics. BTW, dual sender and gauge from Ron at the Bus Depot (thanks).

Well, I get no oil light to come on, even when the engine is off. I tried shorting the idiot light connector to the frame, which from what I've read should make the light come on (switch opens above .3 bar and closed otherwise, right?). So it seems that at least part of the idiot light system is screwed up.

I then did all the makeshift wiring to test the gauge. In my infinite wisdom, I didn't order the wiring kit (Jim, can you get me one of these?). With the Mahle filter and 10W30 oil I had put in the case (no flames please...I figured I had the most of that stuff and I'll need to drain it out again anyway since one of the connections would surely have a leak), at cold startup it read 60 psi and after running a minute or so, was already down closer to 50. Is this about what I should expect for a healthy cold engine? Didn't have time to let it warm up.

I discovered that the hose to engine connection has a leak. I'm not surprised since I had no good way of tightening that sucker. What's the trick or super tool to do this? It's 15mm with almost no clearance and a big hose sticking out of the end (deep socket is out of the question).

BTW, I also replaced the pressure relief spring since I had heard that this was a common culprit.

OK, one more question for you tinkerers: Where do I run the extra wire from the sender to the gauge? Up through the engine compartment lid and through the interior?

Regards,

-Karl

+=================================+ | Karl and Kristina Bloss | | bloss@enter.net | | http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw | | '87 GL Weekender "Beverley" | +=================================+