Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:59:19 -0400
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adjusting CO on Vanagon, JC Whitney to the rescue!

<< Looks like I'll miss the Jerome JAmboree as I couldn't get an appointment to have the CO adjusted until 9/22 and I don't want to drive it and risk running too lean and cookin the engine. (It got messed with during the lastest non running episode)

Anyone have a mixture adjustment process that doesn't use the exhaust emission sensor? I tried doing it with the rpms but that did not seem very reliable. The idle also got moved. >>

I finally broke down and got a cheap CO meter from JC Whitney. Normally $229 but I got it on sale for $199. Its a fairly cheaply made device of English origin oddly enough. It is very sensitive to where you locate device relative to gettin a consistent reference air sample outside of the exhauststream. If the wind is breezing, its about impossible to get a nice stable reading. Aside from this nuisance, I was able to actually get my 84 adjusted dead nuts. Even with the breeze problem I could at least get the adjustment in the ball park within 1% or so.

I took it to a Jiffy Lube type place for an initial test where it failed, which kind of bummed me out as I had just dialed everything in and checked it a couple of times over the course of a couple of days. So I bit the bullet and took it to VW and authorized an hour for adjustment but they came back and said it was dead nuts and needed no work. Got out of there for less than 25 bucks if I remember right. I believe the Jiffy Lubes testers were not in tolerance and having had to wait in line for 25 minutes also doomed that first test to failure. The Cat must be hot to get a good number!

Having spent the bucks on even this cheezy CO meter I feel at least now that I am not completely at the mercy of these clowns at the shops. Its probably already paid for itself when I think about it.

Just my personal experience, if you spring for the JC Whitney thing don't expect too much but it is workable with some patience. I got the better of the two they sell BTW, the one with the Tach, Dwell, Volts, etc functions.

Regards,

Carl Turner