Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 1997 18:11:23 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <dboehler@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Fw: Timing Notch? on 2.1 Digifant

---------- > From: Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca> > To: Darrell Boehler <dboehler@taos.midwest.net> > Subject: Re: Timing Notch? on 2.1 Digifant > Date: Monday, September 15, 1997 5:56 PM > > Darrell, I agree with you 101%. > > I have double checked your references and I think that you are right: > The "v" notch is 5% BTDC and the "u" notch is TDC. I measured the > pulley, calculated the 5% offset from "u" notch and its smack on the "v" > notch. > > I just set up our '86 Syncro Westfalia as per Bentley and took it for a > short spin and it runs well. > > As I think this information is of general interest to the list, would > you like to post it to V@G? > > Larry > > BTW, I think that if too much advance is used one gets pre-ignition > knock and higher octane gasoline would be required. > > ________________ > Darrell Boehler wrote: > > > Ok Larry I got it the Bentley book does illustrate on page 28.44 the U > > > > notch is tdc for cylinder #1.Then they refer to the v as the timing > > notch.This is what I more or less had surmised. > > So in my mind it is now very clear with the v notched aligned > > with the > > split in the case we have the correct or 5 degree btdc Bentley is > > after.Most responses on the list seem to feel adjusting for about 10 > > degrees btdc works best.I will set mine per Bentley,v at the split > > and see > > how it drives. > > > > Darrell > > > > ---------- > > > From: Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA> > > > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > > > Subject: Timing Notch? on 2.1 Digifant > > > Date: Monday, September 15, 1997 11:59 AM > > > > > > I have some confusion regarding the timing notches on the flywheel: > > > -------------^---------F > > > -----u-----------------R > > > When setting the timing (Temp Sender II disconnected, revs at 2000 > > rpm) > > > which notch gives the required 5 degree ahead of TDC? In other words > > > > > which notch is which if either? > > > > > > Larry > > > '86 Syncro Westfalia > > >