Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:42:59 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timing Notch? on 2.1 Digifant
Comments: To: Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>

Good Question - Bentley can be confusing because the photos show both the 1.9 and 2.1; and the 1.9 timing mark is AFTER TDC while the 2.1 is BTDC.

The V shaped mark is the 5 deg BTDC mark that per "spec" should line up with the case seam. The rounded notch is TDC reference. Having tried timing to spec and slight variations I agree about 8 deg BTDC works better, giving more power and smoother acceleration. (Both my vans came timed closer to this than to 5 deg. per the pulley.) 8 deg will put the V notch slightly to the LEFT of the case seam.

I suspect the flywheel TDC sensor used by VW is more accurate than the pulley notch. Since VW uses the sensor they may not be as careful with the notch placement.

Be sure to fully warm the engine, then after starting unplug the "temp II" sensor on the left side of the thermostat housing (while running) before checking timing.

HINT: This is hard to unplug with the engine running and hot since as it's awkward to press in the locking clip. So I unplug first when cold and carefully remove the locking clip, then replace and warm the engine. Then it unplugs with just a pull while running. Be sure to put the clip back on and plug in when you are through. If you are a Texas Aggie, tape the clip to your forehead when you take it off. If you forget it someone else may notice. Be sure to watch for other Aggie Vanagon owners.

Tom Austin, TX '87, '91, '97