Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:29:00 -0600
From:         "Michael D. Landis" <mlandis@WATERVALLEY.NET>
Subject:      For Lisa, re '81 Westy

Lisa, I tried to reply to you directly but something must've screwed up because the reply-to header line in your email message was invalid. So here's what I said. I guess it's of enough relevance to the list in general...

>Hi Michael! > >I just returned home from Minneapolis to Schenectady with my newly >purchased 81 Westy. You may brand yourself as mechanically inept, but I >wouldn't know how to stop the SEars tire guy from serious harm. > >As a neophyte owner, have you any sage advice? To get inspected it >needs to go up on the lift and now I fear for its safety. I can change >the oil (probably) but thats about it. > >Anyway, loved reading your post. Sincerely, Lisa

Hi Lisa. "Sage advice"? Hmm...well, fresh tastes alot better than the little jars from the supermarket. :)

I guess the overarching thing is that attitude realignment I mentioned. This is a 16-year-old vehicle you have just bought. And while those air-cooled engines are close to indestructable they do require more (and more diligent) preventive maintenance to remain so. Also, IMHO VW has a chronic problem with all their vehicles...while they make a hellova good engine and drive train, they tend to skimp on peripherals and often use inferior or under-engineered materials. So be prepared to have minor yet vital components break: distributor, fuel pump, etc., not to mention interior and exterior parts like door latches, dashboard trim, and so on. And when something (or several somethings at once) breaks, don't get mad. Just sigh, accept it, and have whatever it is replaced with the highest-quality aftermarket part you can find.

In a more specific vein, here's what I've gleaned from various list members who took pity on my neo questions:

Remember that heat is your engine's Enemy. Operating and melting temps on these air-cooleds are far closer together than on a water-cooled engine. I recommend as soon as you can having an oil temperature gauge installed. Parts for this cost about $50 and the installation you could probably do yourself. Once you have the gauge you'll know for sure if you're running too hot. In the meantime, check that the tin shroud is in good shape. Open the engine compartment and look down. If you can see the ground anywhere you're probably running too hot. See, airflow is crucial to keeping the engine cool, and the tin is there to direct the air properly. You can also use your nose...take the van for a good long drive, an hour or more, then just go round the back and sniff. If you smell burnt oil (as opposed to just the normal "hot" smell) that's maybe not good.

Tires...if your new purchase has standard passenger car tires you should replace them ASAP. Especially on the back wheels they're carrying more weight than a regular tire is designed to. This makes you prone to blowouts and makes the van handle like sh*t. Get some light truck tires that are rated at least as load range C and 1400 lbs. If you can't afford a full set all at once do the back pair first.

Since like me you won't be working on the van yourself, mostly, you need to find someone in your area who specializes in air-cooled VWs, who is trustworthy, and who won't break your bank. (I bought my Westy from a guy who runs a VW custom shop in Memphis. He sold me my daily-drive vehicle, an old Golf, three years ago.) Who's in your area that meets these requirements is the kind of question other listmembers could probably answer for you.

Finally, the Vanagon list is a great resource BUT you have to take the advice you get with a grain of salt and sometimes the whole darn lick. Every question you ask will likely generate a range of mutually contradictory replies. When I asked what was the max safe cruising speed for my '81, the answers I got ranged from "no more than 60 mph" to "whatever she'll do". The best piece of advice I got from the list in that vein was "get used to the right lane." :)

Schenectady, huh? How's the heat in your Westy? Mine is nonexistent but in southern Mississippi that's not much of a handicap.

-------\/------- Michael D. Landis http://www.watervalley.net/webx [| # /\ # |] mlandis@watervalley.net Feed your mind at StormWeb \_____/ \_____/ ...One way or another, this darkness got to give...