Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:32:07 -0400
From:         Lash Briggs <Lash_Briggs@MAIL.MBA.WFU.EDU>
Subject:      How I got my dream bus (long but fun)...

I think this is a trip. I've been basically bored lately, and in search of adventure. I have also been tired of my 81 Westy and need a change. SO...I started searching various search engines for "vanagon" and "westfalia" to see what was out there. After wading through much junk, I found a random ad for this van. Turns out, the owner hadn't even advertised it yet, he'd just been talking to his friend about selling it, so his friend put in a random classified add on the Internet. And I found it. I'm pretty psyched about the deal, but just wish it had less miles...it has 70k. Anyway, you just have to waste allot of time looking around the Internet to find a deal, if you want to go the route I did. If not, I've noticed several adds lately in the list. Here's the email I sent to my co-workers (my way of asking off for part of a Friday and Monday). To set the stage, I work in an MBA school and have taken it upon myself to lighten the "business atmosphere"; hope you enjoy...

To update the uninspired, I, Lash, will be embarking on an adventure sure to tickle the mind and challenge the soul. On Friday, this 29th day of the 8th month in the 1997th year of our lord, I will be setting out by the great winged beast with the tundra land of Michigan in my sights. Should I encounter trouble, should the great winged beast hesitate and fall from the mighty heavens, I leave you all my greatest love, adoration, and furniture to be pillaged from my very own office, of the Babcock school, in the great Worrell, seated deep in the ancient land of gold better know only as Wake Forest. Please take my belongings and cherish them for the rest of your days, for they served me well and will prove with time to warm the very essence of your soul. The reason with which I fearlessly rush into this none too small of challenges is simple. I am freeing my trusty bordeaux steed from the hands of men who know not of its powers or needs. Who know not of the delicate touch to which my greatest of all vanagons doest desire. I shall upon the exchange of a small token of worldly wealth be storming forth on the mighty road to return, not blindly, but yet with the power and strength of a 2.1 liter at my back, pushing me onward to the land that awaits my return. As I encounter the varying heats and bone chilling colds, I will be using my power windows and new all powerful heat to fight off the fiends of temperature. Should the wretched stations of radio fail with tunes of delight, the great steed's CD player will burst forth with the sweet melodies of the worlds greatest band of old, o ye grateful of the dead! Shall my arms tire with the battles of the roadway, they shall upon the supple armrest lay, worn but content in the arms of my lady steed. Shall my foot begin to pain with the ever pushing peddle to the metal, I shall push down upon the button of cruise and let me lady take control. Shall the angel of sleep brush o'er mine eyes, I will indeed be welcomed into the very belly of the steed, to lie upon the bed of westfalia in sweet, sweet slumber. Shall mine belly begin to ache with the pains of hunger, the great propane stove will be fired up into a great roar, and I shall partake of the warm indulgence of nutrients. Shall my thirst begin to call upon mine tongue, the great faucet of the water of the gods will serve to wet mine whistle, powering me to sing out, sing out with the o greatest song truckin, for I'm going home. Shall I become cramped and needest of more room, I will surely pop mine top and burst up into the higher but no lesser bunk of the westy. Shall I need to hide from the angels of darkness, who ride their blue flashing ponies of black and white, the great tinting of mine windows shall prove as a barrier against which no agent of the law can penetrate. As I roar back into the smoky land of winston de la salem, the peasants will welcome me and throw down their sport coats to ease my path. There will be great rejoicing and the people will call out aye! And I will return to the battles against the great Microsoft and the mighty IBM, with my trusty bordeaux steed waiting nearby to rescue me should the war become to great, should the evil 4D database take the best of me. If mine travel ends on the great Sunday, I will be back at the battleground on o Monday. If, however, I fail to win the good fight, please remember mine war and take it upon yourselves to carry on the torch. Do not let the evils of the Internet turn you from the good side. Fight with the almighty Norton Utilities and the good side, carry on my friends, carry on...

Peace out.

Lash Briggs Information Services Babcock Graduate School Wake Forest University 910.758.4638 lash_briggs@mail.mba.wfu.edu