Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:41:08 -0000
From:         Bob O'Shaughnessy <oshaug@INFINET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Swap (long)
Comments: To: sbrown <lvb@HARTCOM.NET>

>After much grief over the past year with head/over heating problems in >my 85 Westy I have decided, after much thought, to change over to a >Jetta engine. I have an automatic, which I want to keep, and have >ordered a conversion kit from Kennedy, after talking with them several >times. The necessary, I hope, diesel donor parts are also on their way, >and I will begin removing the wasserboxer in preparation for installing >the new Jetta engine, which I will select and purchase soon. There >seems to be an abundance of these, which is one reason for the >selection. I would gratefully appreciate any input as the the best fuel >injection system, exhaust manifold, and any other information anyone >wishes to share. This will be a learning experience for me, and >hopefully give me a reliable Westy. Please feel free to email me >direct to help me through this procedure, as I need all the help I can >get. Thanks, Larry >

Larry, somewhere down the line, I am going to do one of these projects. Here's what I've got so far:

The perfect donor engine is the 85 or so GTI/GLI engine (code HT) with the 10.0:1 compression, knock sensor ignition (mandatory for high compression engines), hydraulic valves, and CIS-E injection. I'd stay away from the earlier engines, as only the 84's have hydraulic lifters, the rest require valve adjustments via shims. I'd also recommend the CIS-E injection, because it is a bit more advanced than the CIS injection and a bit easier to troubleshoot. The CIS is nearly all mechanical. Also, the CIS-E is preferable to Digifant, as the Digifant engines (later GTI engines) are a bit harder to modify for performance. Which brings us to performance mods. I am fully expecting to get an 85 GTI engine which has really been huffed. In the rebuilding process, I am going to make some modifications. I haven't really decided what, but a mild cam, and maybe a slight valve timing adjustment, and balancing are certainly easy. I've been looking casually at some of the high-performance catalogs for water cooled engines and there are a few more options (bigger pistons and so on. The nice thing about the 85 engine is that most of the common performance mods are already present (bigger throttle body, bigger air meter, bigger valves, hydraulic lifters, knock sensor ignition and so on). From what I understand the stock Diesel exhaust is pretty good, and I might keep it, after taping it for the oxygen sensor, of course. Later on I'd like to go to the early (pre 83 (i.e. not made in Pennsylvania)) Rabbit/Jetta exhaust manifold. It is a 4 into 2 design, with oxygen sensor hole that is considered the best header you can buy for one of these engines. The only problem would be that you'd have to get some custom pipes built to match it to the rest of the exhaust system. Fortunately, unlike the front-drive cars, you can build a rigid exhaust, like your waterboxer has. When pulling the engine and ordering diesel parts, you need to make sure to get the following: Every single bit of the fuel injection system. Follow every wire and line. The knock sensor ignition module and all the wires. From the diesel: The engine mounts The oil pump (put new gears in it while it is out) All the radiator hoses, expansion tank, and the oil cooler You seem to have taken care of the tranny mount The exhaust The oil pan and the skid plate under the engine.

These are the unresolved issues for me: Alternator: I haven't really taken a good look at this yet to see if the GTI's alternator can be used Air conditioning: From what Erik O and I discussed while looking at his Westy GTI the AC compressor and mount from the GTI engine won't fit under the engine cover. You may have to fabricate a mount for the Vanagon's AC pump, which is smaller than the GTI one. Power Steering: From what I've seen, this may not be an option. The engine mount bolts on to the block where the PS pump bracket from a GLI would attach. Again fabrication may be the only option.

that's all for now, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bob O'Shaughnessy 84GL, 85GL project (Mine) 82 Diesel L with carbed Rabbit engine (belongs to friend) 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 94 Rabbit, 95 Cat, 96 cat.