Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 1997 19:25:54 -0700
From:         "Ralf Kalscheuer (by way of Ron Lussier <coyote@likeminds.com>)"
              <ralfk@POP.EROLS.COM>
Subject:      Engine troubles!

My name is Ralf and I from Germany, living since 1989 in Virginia. I have a 87 Multivan 2.1 Wasserboxer which is giving me lots of headaches these days. The problem that I have is the most famous stalling problem.

I tried already various things that I found in the archives, however it still has the problem where the engine runs to rich. I was wondering if you know anybody that knows anything about ECU signals and voltage level., maybe even someone has some schematics. Looking at the list messages, I think VW Vanagons have a real problem here, checked with a lot of other Vanagon folks that had similar bad experiences.

Things I checked or replaced so far:

Grounding points

Aux air sensor harness

temp II sensor

checked VDO idle stabilizer openes only 2mm but is humming (is 2mm OK?)

Did not replace ECU (I don't think its bad, could be possible)

If you have any other suggestions or maybe you know a good repair shop in the DC area let me know.

I just resubscribed to mailing list maybe someone else will report some other stalling hints. By the way, your Vanagon WEB page is great, you can be proud of your accomplish- ment, having something that serves a real good purpose.

Best Regards!

Ralf

H 703 729-9370 W 703 724-2117