Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:42:38 -0500
From:         Paul Henderson <pgh@UNX.DEC.COM>
Subject:      Overheating on '84 Vanagon

Got that dreaded call yesterday from my SO... "the bus started overheating in traffic, coolant was gushing out the back".

I checked all the archives on the new list server, but only found one thread that dealt with a blown fuse, not the wiring of the fan switches.

Then I checked the radiator fan, which worked when I applied a hot lead. Then I checked the Bentley manual, which shows TWO thermo-switches, one for a low speed circuit, one for a high speed. I removed the front grill and found ONE thermo switch screwed into the radiator, with three wires DANGLING in space (a red/white, a red/black, and a red/blue), all with non-factory connectors. The red/white comes up from behind the radiator, the red/black and red/blue come from four wire to two wire gray connectors. The DPO strikes again!!

I tried several combinations of attaching these wires to the thermo-switch, then jumpered the two connections and sometimes the fan would come on, other times not, and other times, it would just stay on even after removing the jumper!

I cannot for the life of me figure out how they hook up, why there are three wires, nor can I find the second thermo-switch that is shown in the Bentley wiring diagram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Henderson '84 Vanagon WasserBoxer (hot, not trotting) Bedminster, NJ, USA