Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 1997 23:58:40 -0600
From:         Tony Mysyk <mysykt@CADVISION.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel pump?
Comments: To: falsone_jesse@AMELNX.ADVMAR.COM

Jesse,

Sorry for the bad info and any trouble that I might have caused(I'm just another crack pot on the list), The voltage I really measured was .55 volts (approx. half a volt dc), not 5.5(five and a half), I hope this didn't make a bunch of people go out and measure the O2 sensor voltage.

I have used the same fluke digital meter for 8 years now and can't think why I was seeing 5.5 volts.

all the other stuff was true, promise. Tony Mysyk Calgary, AB, Canada

---------- > From: Tony Mysyk <mysykt@cadvision.com> > To: multiple recipients <vanagon@gerry.sdsc.edu>; falsone_jesse@AMELNX.ADVMAR.COM > Subject: Re: fuel pump? > Date: Thursday, August 28, 1997 12:38 AM > > Jesse, > > On my 86 water-cooled I was having very similar problems, the o2 sensor was > the culprit, your symptoms would show up in the winter and when ever the > van was driven in the rain, I finally got out the squirt bottle after > various suggestions from fellow list members and doused all the wiring > hoping to see the light show. It was relayed to me that if any ignition > wires were bad then they would short to ground when wet, no luck on the > simulation. Until I sprayed the top of my o2 sensor, then the van idled > lousy, but upon start up would be semi normal until the o2 sensor dried > out, then normal. the sensor is an after market one that was recommended > to me, doesn't have the heater wires, yours may be a single wire design > compared to a three wire design. To check the effect of the o2 sensor, I > connected my + lead on the volt meter to the sensor connection (when the > van is turned off) still connected, the neg. lead goes to a grounded spot > anywhere. the results are: > van running at idle approx. 5.5 volts dc(varying up and down a bit, less > than 1 volt), spray the top of the o2 sensor and got water inside, =drop to > less than one volt, van running rough. I found that if the voltage was > below 4.2 vdc then the van would idle really rough, as the water dried the > voltage would rise, letting me know that it responded to temperature and > water. > > I cannot vouch for the correct voltage measurement, cause I don't have that > factory $265.00(can) o2 sensor. > > this all might not be your problem, but my eyes were opened to the need for > a working o2 sensor. > > just my o2cents worth > > Tony Mysyk > Calgary, AB, Can. > > ---------- > >> Cold starts are fine > > idles erratically if left idling for a few minutes, eventually stalls > > drives fine at highway speeds > > stalls when slowing down to a stop > > won't start right away after stall > > will start when left to sit a few minutes >