Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:44:34 -0700
From:         Bob Bellanca <bajatrvlr@ABAC.COM>
Subject:      1.9L TD complete

To all you folks who've been following the progress of my1.6L diesel to a 1.9L TD, the process is now complete. What it's cost: VW ADE 1.9L industrial(automotive)Turbo diesel: $3900 (includes shipping and taxes) Rebuild 4 speed DZ (alpine gears) and change ring and pinion to 4.57 $550 Install engine and make some modifications: about $1500 ( I think) (haven't gotten the final bill yet) Included in the installation price were some other non engine upgrades, so the $1500 isn't realistic. Exaust: about $45 (straight pipe right off the turbo, no muffler)

What the mods have done to the van: I am no longer relagated to the right hand lane. At 3100 rpm I am doing 65 mph, at about 3600 rpm about 75 mph. I no longer have to anticipate every single time I pass another vehicle.(Especially on two lane roads).

What I've learned: This is a very straigh forward engine swap. A good mechanic can probably do it in about 8 hrs, if he has all the parts needed. The most difficult part is comming up with a suitable air filtration system. What I've come up with is a hybred, scavenged from bits and pieces of other vehicles. It may not be the most ideal intake but for the right now, it's fine.

Would I do it again: YOU BET! However, the next time it won't take so long...

Bob Bellanca `84 TD Jetta `82 1.9L TD Westy (UBSEV)