Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Sep 1997 06:59:44 -0500
From:         Tonya Pope <tonya@MSMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stalling at Idle when cold
Comments: To: Hotch <hotch@NETAXS.COM>

Hotch wrote: > > Thanks Joel, > > I forgot to mention that I did check for vacuum leaks, the only piece of > rubber hose is about 2 inches long at the end of a long hard plastic > tube on the front side of the manifold. I wish it were that easy. >

Unless it's been modified, there should be another piece of rubber hose at the other end the plastic tube (you've got to trace the tube up near the wheel well). Also, there's a short piece that rubs up against the distributor cap in the middle (not connected to the cap, but rubs up against it). The boot by the air box can also be a source of vacuum leaks. For the 87s, they came out with a modified clamp that helps hold the boot to the afm.

> I just came back from resetting the timing back to where it belongs and > noticed that when I started up with the temp II disconected it ran > fine. The temp sensor tested out fine with an ohm meter though. Is > there a way to double check it? >

That sensor should only be $12 including the o-ring for the 86 (that's what it cost from the dealer for an 87 and I think they use the same one, earlier models are more expensive). Is the labor to check it again really worth it? You might want to check the wires as well. And grounds.

Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle