Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:47:19 -0700
From:         Blake Heinlein <bhein@ECST.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Running rich
Comments: To: no1ukn0@earthlink.net

Perry, I spent about a month or so looking round in my engine to deduce this problem. It was a combination of a lot of little things. My engine got so rich it was backfiring at about 45 mph going down the freeway. That was the max speed it would reach also. In that trip it consumed about 15 gallons of gas in 100 miles, BIG problems. What helped the most was putting clean spark plugs in. I then put new rubber washers on the fuel injectors, and checked them also. I put new cap and rotor on along with an O2 sensor. I still wasn't convinced that things weren't working right. Pessimistic I guess? I then went looking into the computer (ECU). I checked all of the measurements with my multimeter and they were OK. Then I was told about the wiring harness that runs over the exhaust pipe inside the engine compartment next to the bumper. If that gets to hot it will create a resistance in the wires and throw off all of the voltages in those wires. I looked at mine and the PO had tied it up off the muffler heat shield to prevent it form burning. It had melted the outer plastic casing around the wires. So I dug in there. I stripped back the burnt plastic to see how the wires were inside. They were OK. I rewrapped it with electrical tape and zip tied it up off the heat shield. I then to it to a VW mechanic and he checked my plug wires, (two were bad, one with high resistance, & one the cable broke taking it off). My timing was retarded also so he advanced it to where it should be. He also did a compression check and I found I'm about 20 lbs low on 2 of my cylinders. Not bad for 150,000 miles. Also to make my exhaust system quieter I put a new muffler on and had my exhaust manifold welded where there was a crack from extreme heat (right on the first bend out of the engine). I figured this could effect the O2 readings if enough exhaust was escaping. Plus now it is a lot quieter. I know this probably sounds like a lot, but what else does a college student do during the summer in Chico, CA when he's only working 30 hrs a week. I have only had my van for about 1 years so this was my first encounter with problems. I hope that this gives some insight. :-)

Blake Heinlein 1983.5 Westy "Toaster" CSU, Chico - Mechanical Engineering