Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:23:40 -0400
From:         PACO <"PACO @ 28th (PACO)%New York Media Group"@MCIMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Cat Plat Heater Stats

Text item: Text Item

I know this has gotten kinda boring but I just can't resist putting in my own comments regarding Steve Schwenk's comments on the Cat Platinum heater:

Everything he says is true. I have the 6000 btu unit and it is permanently installed in a cabinet behind my passenger seat. Detailed instructions on how I did this were posted last year and now reside in the archives so I won't repeat any part of that here.

My heater is driven off the aux battery and I did run a line from my propane tank to the heater for a no fuss operation. Unlike Steve I don't have any set up at all other than to turn up the thermostat and get warm. The propane tank when full will allow the heater to operate for 68 hours continuously and the drain on the battery is almost negligible. In real life I also use propane to cook with and run the fridge but the heater cycles on and off because it warms the van well. In use I have used the heater for 5 days in sub-freezing temperatures without running out of fuel. This includes cooking and even baking occasionally at night. My most common application is that Lucy and I will go skiing for 3 to 4 days in upstate New York in the dead of winter. Typically this means temperatures that are about 20-30 daytime and fall to 0 at night. We leave the heater on all the time with the thermostat turned to about 65. If we go warmer we usually overheat 'cause we wear more clothes anyway in winter.

We love coming back to a warm van after skiing all day and usually celebrate with lots of hot toddies. At night we really get to appreciate the heater, we have a tradition of making complicated multi-course meals which we prepare and enjoy while taking turns reading to each other. We do this comfortably in jeans, socks and a t-shirt so we're plenty warm.

Steve is right about it not heating upstairs. I think this is because the radiant heat just doesn't get up. It stays pretty warm up top until we fold out the upper bunk and then the downstairs stays toasty but the upstairs gets cold fast. We sleep in a double winter bag up top and leave the heater running downstairs. That way its warm if you get up in the middle of the night and doesn't take a long time to heat up in the morning. Additionally I have to agree with Steve and say that the air is sweeter in the van with the heater running because it vents not only it's own exhaust but also I think some of the water vapor put out by two people breathing.

I think there is a lot of great stuff being talked about the Propex heater but I don't think it has quite the same heat output or energy efficiency. Still, If I were starting over it would be a hard call because I like the idea of it living under the seat so much.

Anyway, The cat doesn't have to be considered a potable solution and it is great running off the Westy fuel and power systems. I also have say the company was really great whenever I called them with questions or installation issues.

-Clark