Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:29:09 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Fw: Rear ended 83 Watercooled; Totalled what to do?

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 84 Vanagon, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN bpremack@wavetech.net

---------- > From: Budd Premack <bpremack@wavetech.net> > To: Alan S Gondry <alangondry@JUNO.COM> > Subject: Re: Rear ended 83 Watercooled; Totalled what to do? > Date: Wednesday, October 22, 1997 2:25 AM > > Alan, > > Tough luck, but make the best of it. Take the $ and buy it back from the > insurance company for scrap value, which they will probably figure is $ > 100. > > Don't take their first offer unless you feel it is exceptionally fair. It > will cost them to dispute anything with you, so you do have some bargaining > power. But be nice; you are dealing with people who are used to being > beset by angry insureds, and they tend to cooperate more if you are > friendly. > > Once you have the $ and the van, you can then decide how to proceed. If > the van is reasonably salvageable, was in good shape to start with, and you > want to keep it, look at all repair options. Remenber that you generally > can save lots of $ if you aren't in too much of a hurry. Use the wisdom > and good graces of the list to assist you. > > If the van is too far gone, then you can keep it for parts, after you get > your replacement from those great for sale posts on the list. (Just last > week, there was a wonderful sounding 84 in W VA that was begging to be > taken for $ 1400. If you can't find it, contact me and I think I can look > it up, or you can post to the list, and someone will have the info.) > > Your e-mail address seems to indicate that you are in Boston. I have heard > good things (from the LIMBO newsletter) about Boston Engine. They may be a > helpful local source. Also, there is currently a list member in Boston > offering a 87 Syncro for $ 5,000. That may be tempting. > > Remember, if all you have is a lemon, squeeze it to mix with water to make > lemonade, and use the seeds to plant a tree for the future. > > Good luck. Let me know what you decide to do. > > BTW, the above comments come from hard earned experience, and they will > work. > > Budd Premack > 86 Syncro, 84 Vanagon, 73 Super > Minneapolis, MN > bpremack@wavetech.net