Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:46:44 -0400
From:         Jerry Hudgins <jerry@SEQUOIA.E-FARM.COM>
Subject:      CC problem solved (was: Cruise control problem stumps dealer)
Comments: cc: Don Gibbons <dgibbons@presray.com>,
          Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>, Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>

Folks:

I'd posted some time back that the cruise control in my '91 Carat didn't work, and that my local VW dealer couldn't figure out the problem. Following the test procedures in the Bentley manual didn't lead to a resolution. Even the $500 control unit was replaced.

A fine and very persistent independent VW mechanic here in Wilmington NC, Dave Metz, finally figured it out. Late-model Vanagon CC units pick up the current speed via an inductive sensor mounted on the back of the speedometer. (Earlier units used a sensor on the axle, sez Dave, but the magnets had a tendency to fly off.) If you put an ohm meter across the two leads on this sensor and spin the speedometer shaft, using a drill or other handy rotary device, you should see pulsating variations in resistance proportional to the speed. The sensor on mine was dead as a doornail - no continuity at all, regardless of speed. He swapped in an identical sensor from the loose instrument pod of some different recent VW (Jetta/Golf/dunno) that was conveniently lying around, and presto, I'm cruisin'.

This part is probably cheap even from VW - it's just a little coil with two spade lugs - but it can apparently be mined from other, more common VW models. Once you get the instrument pod out, the thing comes out with two little screws.

Turns out my old control unit worked just fine, so we put it back on. I guess I have a spare now, unless someone out there needs one.

Thanks to those of you that offered suggestions.

-jch

-- Jerry Hudgins (jerry@e-farm.com)